Why Hybrid ?
Leverage existing infrastructure
- give it a new life -
- old, old+new (hybrid), new -
Advantageous features of new channel
- cost, capacity, many-to-many, regulation -
It's happening anyways!
Threats (to broadcasters)
● Market fragmentation
● Reduced market shares
● Increased competition
● Non-regulated competition
● Loss of control
➢ Business models
➢ Internet ”content” industry
➢ Consumer electronics manufacturers
3rd party mashups
➢ Loss of relevance...
But also opportunities...
HBB Radio Delivery Options
(current Canadian context)
Market Penetration: GOOD POOR NO
#3 Mobile Internet
- 2.5 / 3G
- HSPA convergence in Canada (single standard)
- Emergence of mobile Internet devices
- USB keys
#4 Software-based Platforms
- PC, mobile phone / device, ...
- Developer access to platform resources
- RF interfaces (FM receiver,...)
- Silicon processes (codecs, modem,...)
- New uses created after manufacturing
- Economies of scale – one HW platform
#4 Software-based Platforms (2)
- 50k Apps in ONE YEAR
#5 Software Apps Stores
Developers: upload / sell / upgrade
Users: download / buy / remove / upgrade
All major players have their own platforms (Apple,
RIM, Nokia, Android...)
Where are the new broadcast Apps ?
HBB Radio Apps
- Now playing
- Station ID, song title, artist information, ...
- Dynamic text, top news (text over RDS) ?
iTunes tagging, Zune tagging, other...
- Application triggers
- Notifications (emergencies, mass phoning!)
- Links to online content
- Electronic program guide
- Live traffic information
- Emulate Microsoft's DirectBand (12kbps, not RDS)
- FM / Internet roaming....
iPod Nano 5 Generation
- FM Receiver with RDS
- FM Radio is ”cool”
- Younger generations exposed to FM
- Infrastructure in place (RDS?)
- New revenues : iTunes Tagging
- No general tagging: only iTunes
- Apple controls to ecosystem
- ”iTuneization” / ”Mainstreamization” of music
- Canadians will now see poor RDS offerings...
Other Tagging Opportunities
- Music sales through various online stores
- Other revenue sharing models
- Open to non-iTunes content (emergent, long-tail,...)
- Tagging of talk radio
- Advertizing tagging
- Central listings of radio stations
- Detailed stations info + more...
- CE devices and others
- Managed vs unmanaged
- Free vs licensed
Unique internet link
Internet radio + DAB
+ FM + ...
- Central lookup for registered radio stations
- Internet query based on RDS data
- nslookup -type=CNAME 09880.c201.ce1.fm.radiodns.org
- Internet replies with services available, ...
- Defining international governance
- Defining 3 applications: EPG, Tagging, VIS
Who will manage canadian domains ?
- HBB Radio = new opportunity ?
- Hybrid = Out-of-band = more capacity
- Enhanced via Internet = non-regulated
- Democratisation of broadcast innovation ?
- ”Open” devices will be needed
Will FM+RDS be integrated into mobile devices ?
Will FM+RDS be usable via open API ?
- Participate in alignment / standardisation efforts ?
RadioDNS, IMDA, …
- Need to enhance / harmonize RDS infrastructure ?
- Experiment with RadioDNS ?
- CRC willing to explore...
Hybrid FM + RDS + 3G: the new digital radio ?