2. What is a Photogram?• A photogram fixes shadows onto light sensitive paper• Also known as Rayogram after photographer Man Ray who claims to have discovered the process
3. How does a photogram work? Light sourceObjects Light sensitive paperVariety of tones created Solid shadowby areas partly exposed created by object to light flush to paper
4. Man Ray
5. Laszlo Moholy Nagy
6. Susan DergesUses the natural world as herdarkroom. Themoon provides light
7. Gary Fabian Miller
8. Adam Fuss
9. Todays TaskClass divided into groups• One group at a time in dark room. You will produce 2 photograms of your own.• Meanwhile, other group are to work in sketchbooks. Research the given artists and their practice.• How do they make their prints?• Describe what you can see• What is your opinion? Do you like it? Why?
10. Homework• Come back to the Art department to collect your photograms• Mount into your book• Write up the step-by-step photogram process• Annotate/evaluate your photograms results. What went well? What woud you like to do differently?