One plus one is two. One plus one equals two. Ten divided by two is five. Ten divided by two equals five.
8. Quantifiers all (of) , a lot of , lots of , and plenty of singular verb If the subject head noun is a mass noun If the subject head noun is plural plural verb
A lot of nonsense was published about that incident. A lot of people were present when it happened.
9. Subjects joined by and Compound subject consisting of 2 or more nouns, pronouns, or nouns and pronouns joined by and plural verb
Roger and Elaine agree that you and I are capable of doing the work.
Subjects joined by and When the parts of a compound subject refer to 1 person or thing, the subject requires a singular verb – even though the parts of the subject are joined by and .
Bacon and eggs seems to be the most popular item on the breakfast menu.
Subjects joined by and When the parts of a compound subject are joined by and and the subject is preceded by each , every , or many a , the subject is singular and requires a singular verb .
Many a man, woman, and child uses public transportation every day.
10. When the parts of a compound subject are joined by or or nor and each parts is singular, use a singular verb that agrees in person with the subject immediately preceding the verb.
Neither the catalog nor the price list contains an order form.
However, when a singular subject and a plural subject are joined by or or nor , the plural subject should immediately precede the verb and a plural verb should be used.
We do not know whether the owner or the tenants are responsible.
11. When a pronoun that may be either singular or plural is used as a subject, you must consider what the pronoun refers to in order to decide whether to use a singular or a plural verb with it.
Some of the information has no value to anyone. Some of the papers have historical importance.
12. As well as, in addition to, including, together with, accompanied by, or a similar expression following a subject has no bearing on whether the subject is singular or plural. The verb must agree with the subject itself.
The original copy , as well as the photocopies, requires your signature. Several secretaries , in addition to the office manager, plan to attend the workshop.
13. Ignore a predicate nominative when determining the number of the verb to use with the subject of a linking verb.
Computers are a marvel of electronic technology. subject predicate nominative
14. When one or more names are used in direct address, the subject you is often understood and a plural verb is required.
Leo, please give this envelope to your teacher.
14. When there appears at the beginning of a sentence or clause, the true subject appears after the verb following there.
There is an overdue balance of 455.60. There were several issues to be resolved.