3. Interested in the environment, science, and art? Enjoy being creative and solving complex problems?
4. Landscape Architecture offers an exciting future and great earning potential — and it just might be the right career for you!
5. What is landscape architecture? ?
6. Landscape architecture is the analysis, planning, design, and management of the natural and built environment. What is landscape architecture?
7. Landscape architects enhance the quality of our lives by adding beauty to the environment, What is landscape architecture?
8. What is landscape architecture? but they are also problem solvers, analyzing the environmental impact of proposed development, planning for pedestrian and automobile traffic, and determining the best use of each site.
9. ? What types of projects do landscape architects design?
10. What types of projects do landscape architects design? Parks Playgrounds Zoos Streetscapes Residential Projects Campuses Shopping Centers Gardens Golf Courses Recreation Areas and much more! Trails and Bike Paths
11. What do landscape architects do? ?
12. What do landscape architects do? <ul><li>Analyze the natural elements of a site. </li></ul><ul><li>Consider how the site will be used. </li></ul><ul><li>Assess existing buildings, roads, water features, and utilities. </li></ul><ul><li>Evaluate the project’s impact on the natural environment and local wildlife. </li></ul>
13. <ul><li>Take into account laws and regulations that may affect the site. </li></ul><ul><li>Produce detailed site plans. </li></ul><ul><li>Develop a planting plan of trees, flowers, shrubs, and other plants and where they will go. </li></ul><ul><li>Often work closely with architects, engineers, and scientists. </li></ul>What do landscape architects do?
14. “ As a landscape architect , the ability to work with spaces and to find a solution to a problem or challenge, while at the same time creating something aesthetically pleasing, is really inspirational. I love the landscape and I’m looking forward to a long career as a landscape architect .” Eddie George, Associate ASLA Professional Football Player and Firm Principal, The Edge Group
15. ? How do you become a landscape architect?
16. How do you become a landscape architect? <ul><li>Obtain a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) or a Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture (BSLA). </li></ul><ul><li>You can also obtain a graduate degree, if you like. </li></ul><ul><li>Become licensed, if applicable in your state. </li></ul>
17. Where do landscape architects work? ?
18. Where do landscape architects work? <ul><li>Most work for private landscape architecture, engineering, architecture, or planning firms. </li></ul><ul><li>Many are self-employed with their own firms. </li></ul><ul><li>Institutions or private corporations, such as colleges or retail chains, often employ their own landscape architects. </li></ul><ul><li>Some work for federal, state, or local government agencies or teach at colleges and universities across the country. </li></ul>
19. What do landscape architects earn? ?
20. What do landscape architects earn? Salaries vary depending on years of experience, location, and type of position. In 2006, the average salary for entry-level landscape architects was $39,300 . The national average compensation (salary + benefits) for all landscape architects was $89,700 .
21. Did You Know… ! There are about 30,000 landscape architects in the United States and many more are needed— it’s a profession that’s in demand!
22. You can join ASLA as a Student Affiliate member! Your membership includes a one-year subscription to Landscape Architecture magazine and many other exciting opportunities to learn more about landscape architecture. Visit www.asla.org to join today!
23. The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) is the national professional association for landscape architects, representing more than 16,500 members. ASLA promotes the landscape architecture profession and advances the practice through advocacy, education, communication, and fellowship. Learn more at www.asla.org .