5. Web Run-Time overview
A software development environment that lets
Web developers use standard web technology to create
Run-time standalone applications (widgets).
• Develop using only standard Web technology
• It’s an application: discover, install, launch, uninstall
• Handling media content natively or with the help of scriptable plug-
+ Nokia APIs, tools + documentation
6. What are widgets?
Symbian WRT Architecture
• Lightweight web applications that
provide easy access to content on the Native
Internet C/C++ WRT Web
• No need to launch a browser “Web Widgets Browser
• Offer mobile optimized user interface
accessible by a single click Web Run-Time
(Open source WebKit engine)
• Install and run on Nokia smartphones
like any native application
Platform Libraries and Middleware
7. Why widgets?
• High developer productivity
• Completely open standards based on the Web
• Anyone who can create web pages can develop WRT
• No application signing required
• Distribute widgets like regular applications
8. N97 brings “Live” content to the
• N97 and N97 mini introduced a miniview
extension for WRT widgets on
• Miniview is used to enable “live”
information updates to the user without
accessing or refreshing the widget.
• Users can customize their N97 or N97
mini to have 5 different homescreen
• Persistent application presence on the
homescreen increases visibility and use
of the services.
• Exposes data-driven web content to
consumers in an easy and intuitive way.
9. Symbian^3 introduces multiple
• Symbian^3 refreshes the Nokia
Smartphone user experience to be
simple, fast and beautiful while
increasing the always-on Internet
• Introduces multiple homescreen support
– starting with 3 homescreens.
• Customize and organize individual
homescreens with different aspects of
your life – work, social networking,
10. Nokia widgets get superpowers!
• Web Runtime widgets add context to
Web Content by accessing Platform
Services (including Messaging, PIM,
• Combine Web-based data with Platform Audio
Services to deliver personalized and
relevant services System
• Use web-based contacts and events
locally to create easy-to-access Imaging
• Use device location to provide location Location
aware updates (e.g. auto weather
updates based on your location)
• Available on S60 5th Edition and
selected S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2
11. Demo: I-S+ entertainment & event
12. Big news for consumers
Free on-board global maps
with drive and walk
for all current and future
customers of Nokia’s range
of compatible GPS Symbian
13. New Ovi Maps
World-class value proposition for consumers
Ovi Maps now comes with free:
• Global on-board map data
• Global drive navigation
• Global pedestrian navigation
• Global premium content
>1000’s of travel guides and content
from Lonely Planet, Michelin, WCities
• Share your location with
Facebook Ready out of the box, free of
• Traffic and safety services in
charge on every compatible
numerous countries Nokia GPS handset plus the
installed base of compatible
14. Bigger news for developers!
Ovi APIs and Maps Ecosystem
Integrate with Ovi Maps with the new Show on Map
More Ovi APIs to be available soon!
Developers & Publishers can now:
• Experience the power of new mobile platform
with global navigation as an integral part of the
• Delight consumers around the world with
compelling and locally relevant solutions that will
be possible with this change.
• Bring new location-based innovations to mobile
due to growing adoption of global navigation as a
standard feature on mobile platform.
15. Flash me baby!
Multimedia support through Flash in widgets
Enhance widgets with exciting graphics, video &
• Flash integration delivers the desktop Flash
experience to mobile devices
• Flash Lite 3 on existing Symbian devices supports
Flash 8 code (AS2) and Flash Video (FLV)
• Symbian^3 introduces Flash Lite 4 support with
future devices to introduce full Flash 10 support.
16. Symbian^3 is optimised for WebTV
New WebTV SDK now available!
• Widget framework & Mobile WebTV SDK for fast
and easy development
• Widgets can present dynamic miniview in home
Screen. Miniview can be frequently updated to
show latest content
• Codecs: Support for popular Internet video codecs, nämä luvut olisi
including H264 Main Profile and High Profile hyvä päivittää
• Flash Lite 4 & Flash 10 mobile support for switching
between streams (e.g. advertising)
• Geo-locking & Windows Media DRM support
• Always online with 3.5G HSDPA and WLAN
• HDMI TV-output
17. Case Study: BBC iPlayer for mobile
BBC iPlayer allows audiences to catch up with
full BBC programmes from the past week on the
PC or the mobile via the Internet
“The BBC's iPlayer… came out as the most desired mobile
service in research… with almost a third (28 per cent) of users
saying they would most like to get access to the Beeb's TV
and radio programmes on their phone”
18. Demo: Makansutra food guide
19. Step 1. Step 2. Step 3.
Sign-in into AppWizard Accept terms and add your contact Add RSS content feed
information (only happens once)
Download your finished app to PC Step 5. Step 4.
and publish it to Ovi Store Add optional advertisments Add your brand
20. The mobile comes to life!
• Build your first widget today and test ideas Acceleration Package
with Ovi App Wizard
• Publish to Ovi Store for mass distribution and
establish your brand presence on the mobile
• Learn about WRT development and plan your
next innovative widget
• Tell us about your idea by 31 March 2010 and
get a free 1-year acceleration package
worth more than €300 for approved projects
Email your contact information and big idea to
• Build your winning widget using the latest
• Submit your ideas to Calling All Innovators
and Optus Challenge before 18 May 2010
• Get more visibility with promotional
opportunities with Nokia and our operator
partners to maximize your
21. Thank you!
Developer Relations Manager, APAC
firstname.lastname@example.org / +65 9073 2251