•Humans have been using
wind as a form of power
for over 5000 years.
•The earliest known form of wind power was
used by the Ancient Egyptians.
• The first windmills date back to the early
1100s in the middle east.
• Holland is home to some of the oldest
windmills in the world.
• The earliest windmills were used to grind
• First windmill used to generate electricity in
the US was installed in 1890.
Pros and Cons of Wind power
•Clean • The wind doesn’t
•Renewable always blow
•Saves fossil fuels • Limited building
•Payoff over-time locations
source of electric • Power Storage is
• Expensive to install
The Wind power capacity in the United States
has seen a 400% increase over the last 5
years, with over 24000MW as of 2008 and is
expected to grow by another 8,500MW in
•Off-shore wind farms can generate 50-70%
more power then land based wind farms.
•Wind speeds on the open ocean is 30-40%
higher then on land.
•Wind speeds near shore are 25-20% higher then
•The US has the largest offshore wind farm
potential of any other country in the world.
• The largest offshore wind-farm in the world
is located in Great Britain.
• Its 54 turbines have a capacity of 194MW,
enough to power 130,000 homes.
•Steel foundation tubes were hammered 25
meters into the chalk below sea floor.
Should I get one?
Who should consider buying a wind turbine?
• Persons with property size of one acre or more.
• Persons who have at least a 10 mph average wind speed and are paying 10
cents/kWh or more for electricity
How much does a wind system cost?
• A small turbine can cost anywhere from $6,000 to $22,000.
How reliable are wind turbines? Will I have to perform much
• Most small turbines have very few moving parts and do not require any
regular maintenance. They are designed for a long life (up to 20 years) and
operate completely automatically.
How do wind turbines perform as an investment?
• The wind system will usually recoup its investment through utility savings
within six to fifteen years.
For more information visit http://www.awea.org/faq/rsdntqa.html#savememoney
The ‘Bahrain World Trade Centre
The Anara Tower - Dubai
• Patel, Mukund R. (2006). Wind and Solar Power Systems. Boca Raton, FL:
Taylor & Francis Group.