2. Use a Map ScaleMAPS What is the actual distance betweenDaytona Beach and Orlando?Step 1 Use an inch ruler to find the map distance between the two cities. The map distance is about or 1.75 inches.
3. Use a Map ScaleStep 2 Write and solve a proportion using the scale. Let d represent the actual distance between the cities. 0.5 • d = 17.3 • 1.75 Cross products 0.5d = 30.275 Multiply. Divide each side by 0.5.
4. Use a Map Scale d = 60.55 Simplify.Answer: The actual distance between Daytona Beach and Orlando is about 61 miles.
5. MAPS The distance on a map has a scale of0.5 inch = 14 miles. The measured distancebetween West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale onthe map is 1.5 inches. What is the actual distancebetween these two cities?A. 21 milesB. 28 milesC. 42 milesD. 56 miles
6. Use a Scale ModelMURALS An artist is painting a large mural offlowers on the side of a school. If she uses thescale 4 inches = 1 inch, how large will the muralpainting of a rose bloom be if it is incheshigh?
7. Use a Scale Model 4 • 6.25 = 1 • h Cross products 25 = h Multiply.Answer: The mural painting of the rose bloom will be 25 inches high.
8. FURNITURE A full-size model is being created froma child-size rocking chair which has a height of 15inches. If the scale to be used is4 inches = 1 inch, what is the height of the model?A. 40 in.B. 55 in.C. 60 in.D. 80 in.
9. Find a Scale FactorFind the scale factor of a blueprint if the scale is inch = 3 feet. Convert 3 feet to inches. Divide out common units. Rewrite the division sentence as a multiplication sentence. Simplify.
10. Find a Scale FactorAnswer: The scale factor is .
11. Find the scale factor of a blueprint if the scale is inch = 5 feet.A.B.C.D.
12. Construct a Scale ModelBUILDINGS An architect is making a model of anapartment building that is 150 feet tall. Find thescale if the model of the apartment building is3 inches tall. Using this scale, find the height of themodel of a house nearby if the actual height is25 feet. Divide the numerator and denominator by 3 so the numerator equals 1.
13. Construct a Scale ModelThe scale is 1 inch = 50 feet. Using this scale, findthe height of a model of a nearby house. 1 • 25 = 50 • x Find the cross products. 25 = 50x Multiply. =x Divide by 50.
14. Construct a Scale ModelAnswer: The scale is 1 inch = 50 feet. The height of the model of the nearby house is inch.
15. PARKS Steve is making a model replica of a parknear his house. One of the trees in his model is 3inches tall and represents a tree that is actually15 feet tall. Find the scale of the model and thenusing this scale, find the actual height of anothertree in his model that is 2 inches tall.A. 1 inch = 12 feet; 24 feetB. 1 inch = 5 feet; 13 feetC. 1 inch = 5 feet; 10 feetD. 1 inch = 3 feet; 6 feet