Benefits of Chrome!• Free – Google’s platform• Fast• Reliable• It has overtaken IE as the top browser• Stable across all platforms• Has all these amazing free add-ons to improve browsing from the Chrome webstore• Sign in to multiple accounts – fantastic feature
1.Turn off the LightsTurn OFF the Lights is a fantastic little extension that will take YouTube videos and darkenthe entire screen around the video leaving your video lit up! The focus will be solely onthe video you want to show the students in your classroom! No distractions! The entirepage will be darkened, so you can watch the video as if you were in the cinema. Clickagain and the page will return back as normal. Look at this before and after comparison. Before After
2. Google DictionaryThis is SO useful for your students especially primary schoolstudents. This tool can be very useful when students areresearching as whenever they double click on a word themeaning is displayed as shown below. The meaning simply popsup in a yellow box.
3. Awesome screenshotThis is a great annotation tool. With this tool you cancapture the whole page or any portion, and annotate itwith rectangles, circles, arrows, lines and text, blursensitive info, etc.
4. Webpage screenshotThis takes a picture of your web page immediately and all you haveto do is save it. It is like Printscreen except that you can also do thefollowing to the page:*Draw*Edit*Cut*Change*Resolution*Write Comments*Share via Gmail
5. AdblockThis is described as ‘The most popular Chrome extension, with over 10million users! Blocks ads all over the web.’ How often are you in YouTube andthe ads start appearing? It is most annoying. AdBlock It works automatically:just click "Add to Chrome," then visit your favourite website and see the adsdisappear!
6. Google URL shortener (goo.gl)Whenever you are in a website and you want to shorten the linkto promote it on Facebook or Twitter, the URL shortener is rightthere on the browser bar. You cick on it and it gives you theshortened version to copy.
7. Open Google DocsThis is useful if you want to open a Google Doc and write something.
8. Save as PDFThis extension lets you download web pages as PDFs in one click. It useshttps://pdfcrowd.com html to pdf online service. This can save loads of timewhen wanting to download an interesting resource to use later.
9. WatchDocThis is a useful extension if you collaborate a lot on Google Docs. It could be very usefulto a teacher. It notifies you if your Google Docs change. If you have shared somedocuments with others on Google Docs you normally have to go and check whetheranyones modified them. This Chrome extension will list your shared documents thatwere updated since the last time you have viewed them right from your browser bar.
10. Diigo bookmarksDiigo is a MUST for anyone who surfs the Internet. The extension added to yourbrowser enables you to quickly save something for later and open it again on anycomputer where you have signed into Chrome. You just click on the icon and it opens abox that will enable you to tag the resource very easily. It is a case of:1) Click on the extension icon2) Choose ‘bookmark’3) Add the tag name4) Click on save
11. Send to Google docsYou might want to send the whole page to Google Docs either as adocument or a PDF and store it there.
12. Text to speechHighlight the text that you want read, click on Text to Speech and sit back andlisten!
Classroom uses• With more and more students going online in class, these extensions could really assist students with what they need to do in a task right there in the browser.• The time-saving ability that these extensions bring to a classroom is amazing.