1. UNDERSTANDING THE POWER OF EARNED (SOCIAL) MEDIA Christopher S. Penn, Vice President, Marketing Technology
2. AGENCY INTRODUCTION
3. SHIFT COMMUNICATIONS 2012 DIGITAL/SOCIAL AGENCY OF THE YEAR BOSTON Learn more: www.shiftcomm.com VOTED “SAVVIEST SOCIAL PR AGENCY” BY 500+ B2C AND B2B MARKETERS NEW YORK EMPLOYEE STOCK OPTION PLAN SHIFT IS AMONG THE TOP 5 FIRMS THAT “WILL FEATUREHEAVILY IN A FUTURE WHERE PR IS AT THE HUB OF A NEW ERAOF BRAND COMMUNICATIONS THAT TRANSCENDS MARKETING.” SAN FRANCISCO TECH AND CONSUMER EXPERIENCE AWARD-WINNING NATIONAL PRESENCE AGENCY FACTS Learn more about us at www.SHIFTcomm.com
4. SHIFT CLIENT EXPERIENCE
5. LOTS MORE CORPORATE BOILERPLATE
6. IN THE BEGINNING
7. THE BIG FOUR
8. MY STRUGGLE AS A MARKETER
9. WHAT IS EARNED MEDIA?
10. DEFINING EARNED MEDIAOWNED: We are awesome!PAID: We paid this place to say we are awesome!EARNED: You are awesome!
11. THIS IS EARNED MEDIA
12. THIS IS EARNED MEDIA
13. THIS IS EARNED MEDIA
14. THIS IS EARNED MEDIA
15. CHANGE YOUR THINKING If what you want is... This is whose job it is... Audience Media & PR Leads MarkeIng Revenue Sales Evangelists Service
16. WHY EARNED MEDIA?
17. THE POWER OF EARNED MEDIA C Liking Reciprocity Scarcity DAuthority Social Proof Consistency
18. HOW TO EARN MEDIA
19. EARNED/SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY Strategy Why Objectives What are the overall business objectives and goals? How will you measure them? What indicators will you use to determine when something’s not working and who makes that call?
20. WHAT OBJECTIVES?
21. EARNED/SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY Media What Content What content are you going to create or curate to gain interest? Where will that content come from? What schedule will you use? Who will be responsible for content creation?
24. RESEARCH http://amzn.to/158OhDA
25. TRADITIONAL ACCELERATED BY SOCIAL
26. EARNED/SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY Social Who Network Who is going to be your target audience? What self-identiﬁed characteristics will you look for? What networks are they on? How will you build the network?
29. WHAT ABOUT TRADITIONAL PR?
30. THE NEW SOCIAL PRESS OUTREACH
31. Work right to left Social Media Strategy Who What Why Network Content Objectives Who is going to be your target What content are you going to What are the overall business audience? create or curate to gain interest? objectives and goals?What self-identiﬁed characteristics Where will that content come from? How will you measure them? will you look for? What schedule will you use? What indicators will you use to What networks are they on? determine when something’s not Who will be responsible for content working and who makes that call? How will you build the network? creation? Social Media Strategy in One Slide (www.ChristopherSPenn.com and @cspenn)
32. MEASURING SUCCESS
33. THERE IS NO SINGLE METRIC OF SUCCESS
34. IT’S A BASKET SEARCH EXPOSURE SURVEYING SOCIAL MARKETING PAID SALESRankings of key Media Pre and post Conversation Audience Advertising Revenuephrases placements metrics Campaign Audience Conversions TransactionInbound links Mentions and awareness data Volume Sharing Database impressions Purchase intent entries data Email list size and growth In our earned media strategy, we examine 7 categories of metrics that PR has a dis9nct impact on. To learn more about these, we invite you to read our blog post series on it here: hAp://www.shiCcomm.com/2013/03/7-‐ways-‐to-‐measure-‐pr-‐introduc9on/
35. SUCCESS METRICS: SEARCH
36. SUCCESS METRICS: EXPOSURE
37. SUCCESS METRICS: SOCIAL
38. SUCCESS METRICS: SURVEYING
39. SUCCESS METRICS: MARKETING
40. SUCCESS METRICS: REVENUE
41. DO THEY MOVE TOGETHER?
43. TAKEAWAYS1. Rethink how you measure methods by audience, leads, customers, and evangelists.2. Middle and bo<om of the funnel are irrelevant if the top is empty.3. Earned media isn’t just tradiConal PR -‐ it’s anywhere people can talk about how awesome you are (or aren’t!)4. Approach social media strategy as why, what, who, rather than the reverse.5. Measure with more than one kind of metric to see the big picture.
44. SOCIAL FRESH EAST OFFEROn April Fool’s Day, we joked about opening a coﬀee shop with our own blends of hand-‐roasted coﬀee. Some people took it seriously, so we actually made one of them, the CreaIve Cup. Want some? Here’s how to get it. hAp://bit.ly/socialfresheastcoﬀee