Finance Committee Charter
The Board of Directors of Walgreen Co. (the quot;Companyquot;) has established a Finance
Committee (the quot;Committeequot;) to discharge the Board of Directors’ responsibilities
relating to the review of the financial requirements and practices of the Company.
The Committee shall be comprised of three or more directors, who shall be appointed
by the Board of Directors, upon recommendation of the Nominating and Governance
Committee and the Chairman of the Board and whose term of appointment is at the
discretion of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall appoint one
member to serve as Chair.
The Committee shall have the ability to communicate with the Company’s senior
management. The Committee shall have the sole authority to retain independent
consulting, legal or other advisors as it shall deem appropriate, at such fees and
under such other terms as the Committee determines. The Committee shall also
have the authority to delegate to one or more subcommittees such of its duties as the
Committee deems necessary and appropriate.
The Committee shall meet at least quarterly. A majority of the members shall
constitute a quorum. A majority of the members present shall decide any question
brought before the Committee.
The Committee may request that members of management, the Secretary of the
Company and representatives of any outside consulting firm or other advisors
retained by the Committee be present at meetings of the Committee.
Minutes of the meetings are to be prepared by the Secretary of the Company or the
Chair's designate and sent to Committee members and to Company directors who
are not Committee members. The Secretary of the Company shall maintain copies of
all minutes as permanent records.
Acting in a manner that is consistent with the authority described above, the
Committee shall perform such specific duties as it deems appropriate, including the
1. Review the Company’s financial policies and make recommendations to the
Board of Directors in respect thereof, including without limitation:
a. the Company’s dividend policy, including payment of dividends;
b. policies and guidelines for investment of cash;
c. short- and long-term financing;
d. issuance of the Company’s capital stock; and
e. policies and guidelines related to the Company’s capital
2. Review with management the Company’s capital structure and financing
requirements and to the extent deemed necessary, recommend to the Board
of Directors programs for obtaining funds.
3. Periodically review the Company’s estimates of capital expenditures, operating
income, cash balances and cash flow.
4. Review the Company’s expansion program, including proposed acquisitions
5. Periodically review the investment policies and results of the Retirement and
Profit Sharing Plans.
6. Periodically review the Company’s insurance and self-insurance programs.
7. Periodically review the Company's policies regarding derivatives.
8. Periodically review the Company’s Investor Relations program.
9. Review the adequacy of this Charter annually, and recommend to the Board of
Directors any modifications that the Committee deems necessary or
10. Evaluate annually the performance of the Committee and report the results of
such review to the Board of Directors.
11. Report to the Board of Directors any significant determinations,
recommendations and other matters as it deems appropriate.
12. Perform such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned to the
Finance Committee by law, the Company’s bylaws or the Board of Directors.
In carrying out its responsibilities, the Committee’s practices and policies should
remain flexible, in order for the Committee to respond to changing facts and