Agrupamento de escolas
Biography of Vasco da Gama
Work done by:
Joana Rita Nº 16
João Lourenço Nº17
Rita Duarte Nº23
Raquel Esteves Nº22
Vasco da Gama was born in the town of Sines around 1468-
69. It was the third sonof Stephen da Gama, the commander Cercal
and chief Alcaide of Sines, andIsabel Sodré. Paulo da Gama
and Sodré were older brothers Pedro da Gama, and the youngest.
The experience of childhood and adolescence marked by the
sea determinedly his life. Early on he devoted himself
to nautical and military career.
Although Vasco da Gama to be younger than his brother, Paul,
he had theresponsibility to fulfill a difficult and critical mission, which was
captaining a smallfleet of four ships arriving and departing from Lisbon to India
by sea. This trip had never been performed.
• The fleet left Lisbon (Restelo) on July 8, 1497, with three ships: S. Gabriel -
Acarrack of 27 meters in length and 178 tons, built especially for this
trip, led by theVasco da Gama, S. Rafael - dimensions similar to
San Gabriel, also builtespecially for this trip, led by Paulo da Gama, his
brother, in return, with thediminished crew, was
killed in Malindi, continuing the Berrio and São Gabriel.Berrio - a
caravel slightly lower than previous ones, provided by D. Manuel deBerrio, its
owner, commanded by Nicolau Coelho,. With
food was an Old Caravela, which would later be burned, and was led
by Gonçalo Nunes ..
S. Rafael Bérrio
• In early August were in Cape Verde
• On November 8th anchored in the Bay of St. Helena after describing a route arc in the South
Atlantic in order to circumvent the headwinds;
• On the 16th of that month they resumed their journey;
• Sighted the Cape of Storms, on November 18, but due to headwinds only managed to cross it on the
22nd of that month;
• Rounded the Cape of Good Hope was heading to the north, along the east coast of Africa, arriving on the
island of Mozambique on March 2, 1498 (the Governor of the island sent to attack the Portuguese ships).
• Then headed to Mombasa where they arrived on April 7;
• They arrived in Malindi on April 15, 1498;
• The Portuguese Navy anchored in the city of Calicut on May 20, 1498, after 312days of travel.
Events to India:
The fleet arrived in
This second voyage of Vasco da
Gama was much more useful. This time the
Portuguese side had a more concrete goal for
the mission of the Portuguese expedition: to
control the maritime trade of
the Malabar Coast using all means
necessary, even on terror.
In the Calicut lost 40 sailors in the
fight against the king (Calicut). Vasco da
Gamabombarded Calicut for two days
and two nights to submit it. He made alliance
with the kings of Cochin and Cannanore, but
imposing trade conditions favorable to the
Portuguese. He then returned to
Portugal, where he arrived November
10, 1503, with the caravels laden
with spices. The Portuguese
commercial empire was born.
• put an end to
the excesses and
• Vasco da Gama died
in Cochin on the eve
On March 2, 1498
Because of the hardships between the Portuguese and the Arabs, transportationand marketing of goods,
the Portuguese fleet returned to Portugal (October 1498).The trip would be sad. Lack of fresh
food, made sick sailors, among them his brother Paulo da Gama. Vasco da Gama hired a caravel (sailing faster) to
carryhis brother who was very ill. They headed for the island of Terceira, where he diedthe day
after landing. However the ship Berrio, commanded by Nicolau Coelho,arrive in Lisbon on 10 October 1498,
with the good news of the discovery so longdesired.
• The success of the trip was great. When Vasco da Gama arrived in Lisbon was rewarded by King Manuel I.:Recebeu
títulos, honras e dinheiro;
• He was appointed chief Admiral of the sea and the Indies;Teve direito ao título de “Dom”, sendo mais tarde Conde da
• The trips will not fall for Vasco da Gama. Would return to India in 1502 ahead of afleet of twenty ships with the
aim of subduing our enemies.
• His last trip to India was in 1524, has appointed Viceroy. He ruled only threemonths. The "Admiral of Arabia, Persia,
India and throughout the East," as he called it died on December 24, 1524.
• His body was to be the Kingdom, honors, funeral procession. Later, n'Os Lusíadas,Camões will convert it to
the great Hero of the Lusitano. Centuries later, navigatorand poet, and mythologized mitificador will stand side by
side in Jeronimos Monastery, memory of the discovery of sea route to India.
• Today is the most famous Portuguese navigator in the world.
- Roberto Carneiro, Geography and History of Portugal - Vol VII -
- Carvalho, Sérgio Luís Lages and Victor Small Stories - Big Names;
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of the History of Portugal - Vol I -
Reader's Digest - Alpha Publications.
- Medina, John - History of Portugal - Discoveries The I-IV vol-
- Universal-Modern Encyclopedia - Lexicoteca - take IX - Lexicultura
- Www.Google.com - Images.