• It has become a surprise that for a country
gearing towards pragmatism to easily pass a
legislation such as Same Sex Marriage.
• The key debate issues are : the meaning of
matrimony in civil and church marriages
• Cameron claim “progress” as the freedom of
individuals to have ‘life choice’ that is free
from societal constraints, that same sex
marriage is a part of that history and based
on that narrative, it stems out from the rights
civil partnerships usually enjoy in British law
• The statement caused turmoil in the
– Decreasing membership
"Conference is now populated by lobbyists, not
members. It offers no freedom and no democratic
rights to a membership who barely recognise or
connect with what the Party has now become."
• Ideologism generally represents a preference
for abstraction and looking perfect utopian
solutions to problems over compromise and
• The preference for abstract and perfect
solution then resulted to a weak, ineffective
and passive state thus leading to
• Despite its Catholic roots, French people are
generally laid back in issues regarding family
– Abortion (1975)
– contraceptive pill free to all 15-18 years old
• Key debate issue: children (adoption), family,
• Excuse to mobilize not only those against
same sex marriage but also those who are fed
up with the Hollande administration.
• Technically, UK (Cameron) is still adhering to
the pragmatic political culture that is UK.
• Besides the issue of same sex marriage, there
are other issue hidden behind the mass
movement that is occurring in France.