1. Esri User Experience TeamPitch & CritiqueFrank GarofaloEsri User Experience Team
2. credit• This presentation is based on a session atSXSW Interactive 2012by Fred Beecher (Evantage), Krista Sanders (Google),Russ Unger (UserGlue), and Brynn Evans (Google).• http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_IAP13716
3. overview & objective• Embrace critiques for other individuals through a focusedprocess.
4. process: the pitch• I want a critique of…. (something specific)• I don’t want a critique of… (specific things)• Set-up context in 30 seconds
5. process: the context• The Challenge+ user considerations+ technical constraintsCONTEXT• Additional considerations:• Before using the system / application• After using the system / application
6. process: set-up• Have the audience write questions / comments on sticky-notes• If their questions / comments haven’t been addressed bythe end of the pitch, then ask
7. Ask, Give,& Receive
8. ASK• What about this design resonates with you?• What concerns you?• Additional:• Comments / questions on sticky-notes• If there are print-outs, use red and green highlighters tomark good elements and questioned / concernedelements.
9. GIVE• Good critique is a constant dialogue• Ask questions• No lobbing bombs• For each concern / problem element, provide 1 possiblesolutions / alternative
10. RECEIVE• Gain new insights & a fresh perspective• Don’t knock it• Be a listen-aholic