Retrograde Amnesia is the loss of past memories.Anterograde amnesia is the loss of
To sustain a concussion do you have to be knocked out? What is a concussion?Coup and contra coup injuries to the brain.
Let’s go to college.
In order to graduate with a degree.
What is a semester Hour
How much studying?
“WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF YOUR LIFE?”The world is your oyster.
Study strategies continued…
Test taking strategies:
One way to remain active as a studier is to form a study group.
Face SubstitutionToday we will model forming a study group with a specific task.
You can use the substitution method to remember names with faces.Who is this?
You try it. Your groups creates the substitutions.
1. Recall the 5 basic tenets toachieve the “PreciousPresent”.Then QuicklyDivide into2discussion groups.
2. THE PRESENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WISHING. . .WHEN YOU HAVE THE PRESENT YOU WILL BEPERFECTLY CONTENT TO BE WHERE YOU ARE. . .THE RICHNESS OF THE PRESENT COMES FROM ITS OWNSOURCE. . .THE PRESENT IS NOT SOMETHING THAT SOMEONEGIVES YOU. . .IT IS SOMETHING THAT YOU GIVE TO YOURSELF. . . .
3. Retrograde amnesiaAnterograde amnesiaAssociated with aging diseaseslike Alzheimer’s or seniledementia.Getting hit on the head andforgetting who you are butfunctioning normally in everyother way is mainly the stuff ofmovies and fiction novels.Some people experienceisolated retrograde dementiawhen subject to severephysical or emotional traumaor illnessClive Wearing
4. We are told to live in the present. Clive Wearing is stuckin the present.Resolve this apparent paradox.… thenempowerwrite!
5. You need to accumulatecredits, mostcolleges/universities usesemester hours.128 semester hours in theproper courses will get youan undergraduate degree.
6. 1 semester hour roughly equals one hourper week in class for an entire semester.So… if you sign up for a class that isworth 3 semester hours that class wouldprobably meet three times forapproximately 1 hour each time, perweek. Or say, 90 minutes twice a week.A typical full time schedule would havebetween 15-17 semester hours.
7. 16 s.h. x 8 semesters = 128semester hours of credit. 4year degree! ~31% ofstudents graduate with adegree in 4 years from stateschools, 53% private school.12 s.h. to have full timestatus.20 s.h. is the maximum inundergrad. Why?
8. ~1 to 1.5 actual hours per semester hour ofhomework reading/writing/problemsolving/studying for most classes. (plan on a 40hour work week for classes and studying to besuccessful.)Depending on your majorand the classes you take itmay be more or less.Most of it is reading.How efficient/disciplinedare you with your time?
9. Consider if you are working hard/smart/or not at all.What do you want from your advanced educationalexperience, what are your goals?Organize yourself with a schedule that is true to yourselfand your goals.Use study strategies to work smart.Pick a schedule and use the chart at the back of thepacket to see what it would look like each week.Consider when you might study during each day. Don’tforget to eat, exercise, work and play.
10. Go to class!S.L.A.N.T.Stay current with syllabus. Schedule your time andfollow your schedule.Limit distractions (environment/phone/computer.)
11. Study in the sameenvironment as the test!Study for max. 30 minutesthen take a break. Thiscreates many beginningsand endings makes formore primacy and recencyeffects.Chunk material. Study byclass/section/topic.Stay active when reading:notes vs. highlighter.
12. dietGet into the class
13. Wake up early if you have a morning test. Eat some protein.Get to the test early with the materials you need.Objective test. Cover up answers and visualize what youbelieve to be appropriate answers to the questions. Thenreveal the choices.Essay: Use key words and concepts from lectures andnotes/text.Manage your time and stay relaxed and above all don’t cheat.
14. We are creatures of habit. Meet people in class and ask ifthey would like to study together. (3 is a good number fora study group.)Study on your own but come together to prep for tests ordiscuss a lecture over coffee after a class. Help each otherwith predicting test questions over the material(remember predict a quiz?)Professor’s web site.Discussion sessions are another way to interact with thematerial.Remember T from SLANT? Talk about the class and thematerial. To form study groups you have to meet people.Two heads are thicker than one!
15. You will be given 20 names and faces toremember. Your group will use the substitutionmethod to learn the names.You will have 12 minutes to study the namesand come up with substitutions for them.You must study as a group and work as a teamon each name.