VOICE OF THE VERB
-tells us whether the subject
is the doer of the action or
receiving the action
-subject is the doer of the action
-use when the doer of the action is specific
-emphasizes the doer of the action
a. The students will take their Midterm exam next
b. Jake studied the proposal to add another floor on
c. Patrick has examined the data needed for the
-subject is the receiver of the action
-use when the doer of the action is unknown or unknown
-emphasizes the receiver of the action
The Midterm exams will be taken by the students next
b. The proposal to add another floor on the building was
The data needed for the research project has been
WRITE A IF THE VOICE OF THE VERB IN THE
SENTENCE IS ACTIVE, P IF PASSIVE. (10PTS)
1. Hellen Keller’s serious illness was diagnosed as
2. This serious illnesss destroyed her sight and hearing.
3. The tigers will have been fed by noon.
4. My reflection stared back at me from the mirror.
5. Hellen Keller was taken to Dr. Alexander Graham
6. They were advised to write to the Perkins Institute
for the blind in London.
7. Through Anne Sullivan’s patience and dedication,
Helen conquered her disabilities.
8. Fry the eggs on one side only.
9. The recruitment agency receives hundreds of
applications a day.
10. Helen Keller’s good works will always be
remembered and appreciated.
was/ were given
am given/ is given/ are given
will/ shall give
will be given/ shall be given
had been given
has been given/
have been given
will have been given/
shall have been given
will have given/
shall have given
Seatwork: Form the verb in the opposite voice.
1 had blown
3 has walked
6 is swimming
will be called
are being washed
has been computed
will be cooked
TRANSFORMING THE VOICE OF THE
My group mates chose me to
be the news anchor.
B. I was chosen by my group mates
to be the news anchor.
A. The landslide killed a lot of people.
B. The volunteers will deliver the relief
C. The victims are filing charges against
the responsible agencies.
A. The different news segments were delivered
B. My segment was applauded by our
C. The people of Bohol were visited by PNoy
after they experienced a strong earthquake.
CHANGE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES FROM ACTIVE TO
PASSIVE VOICE. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT INCLUDE THE DOER OF
1. Many people admired Mother Teresa, a
2. Everybody knew her as the “Living Saint” when
she was alive.
3. She loved the poor, the sick and the orphans.
4. A religious order sent her to India.
5. Mother Teresa founded the Missionaries of
Charity in 1950.
CHANGE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE FROM PASSIVE TO
ACTIVE. SUPPLY THE DOER OF THE SENTENCES WHERE
THEY ARE MISSING.
1. Commercials on sodas and energy drinks
are seen on TV.
2. Not so long ago, water with some salt was
drunk by athletes to replace minerals.
3. Sometimes, an upset stomach is caused
by caffeine in soda.
4. Calcium and iron are needed by children
and teenagers to build strong bones.
5. They are advised to drink mild instead of