Reiki: a Japanese Healing Technique
• Rei: Universal : Higher knowledge /spiritual
• Ki : Life force energy; present all around us &
can be accumulated and guided by the mind.
• Reiki: Universal life force energy
• Reiki can be defined as spiritually guided life
Reiki History -1
• In the late 1800's. Dr. Mikao Usui, a Japanese educator and
meditation master, came up with the concept of modern
Reiki called the Usui Reiki.
• This discovery actually occurred as an accident. When Dr.
Mikao Usui was at Mt. Kurama attending a 21-day meditation
course, he was able to open up his crown chakras.
• Dec 24, 1900 – Hawayo Takata was born at dawn on
December 24th, 1900, on the island of Kauai, Hawaii.
Reiki History -2
Dr. Mikao Usui
Mrs. Hawayo Takata
Dr. Chujiro Hayashi
Reiki History -3
• During a trip to Japan in 1935, Mrs. Takata came to Dr
Hayashi's clinic suffering from a number of serious
medical conditions that were resolved through Reiki, for
which she had originally intended to receive conventional
Western medical treatments for.
• Mrs. Takata was quite skeptical about Reiki, but her
skepticism turned into belief as her health problems
resolved and she decided that she wanted to learn Reiki
• Mrs. Takata brought Reiki to the west. She initiated
twenty-two Reiki Masters
I will let go of worry
I will let go of anger
I will do my work honestly
I will give thanks for my many blessings
I will be kind to every living thing
8 March 2014
Prepared by Feras Fanous