Aims of today!
• How to set up your blog
• How to write a post
• How to insert a picture
What is a blog?
• A blog is the abbreviation for the words ‘web - log’.
• They function as a website.
• Most blogs provide commentary on a particular
subject, or act as a diary.
• A typical blog can contain text, images, audio and
links to other blogs and websites.
• Most importantly, readers can leave comments,
making the blog interactive. People can subscribe
to your blog, kind of like a magazine subscription.
What to use blogging for….
• Blogs can be used in wide range of contexts.
• Simply as a diary for your class.
• As a homework tool.
• As a communication between the community.
• Have a look at some of these blogs and websites for
some great ideas: http://kdivens.edublogs.org,
http://edublogs.org/ (10 great ways to use your blog)
To begin (if you want to use
• Log onto blogtown
this is doen for you)
• Login or register……
• You will then need to click next to your
blog name ‘Admin page’
• The first step is to select what design you
want for your blog.
• To do this select ‘appearance’ from the left
hand menu and then choose ‘themes’.
• Some themes allow you to personalise your
blog further by including photographs. If you
want to add a photograph to your blog, you
can do so once you have selected your
Writing a post
• Select the ‘write’ tab.
• Write the title for your blog.
• Write your entry. It is best not to cut and
paste as this can confuse the site.
Adding an image
• Before you start doing this, we need to open
a programme on your computer to enable you
to shrink the file size of the photographs.
• Open your internet - enter
http://www.resize.it/ into the tool bar.
• (cntrl + click to right click on a mac)
• This will enable you to store more images
onto your blog.
Adding an image continued
• O.K. So, you have your image saved on
your desktop, next back to your blog.
• Just above the ‘posts’ page is a small
grey box - click here and follow the
instructions. You may need to edit your
photo, this is possible from here too.
Visit the Site
• Do this often as you can whilst you write
and make your blog. You will see what
it looks like, and how the children and
parents will find navigating their way
• It really is up to you how/if you use it! We
have links to our blogs on our school website
to enable the teachers to publish their own
• You can make it as interactive as you like and
don’t forget - the children can write the posts
• The more you use it, the easier it becomes to
navigate and the more ideas you will invent.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.