Widgets are modules that let you customize your blog’s sidebarText WidgetsImage WidgetsSocial WidgetsDynamic Widgets
1. WordPress 101: The Basics of Blogging &101 Resources to Get Started!!!
2. Good Morning!
3. Hi, I’m &Fajr!I’m an SEO Fashion Blogger
4. I work somewhere amongst these tall buildingsPhiladelphia Born & Breed
5. I Love….
6. I’m FindableTweet Me: @FajrmuhammadFacebook Me: Fajr MuhammadLinkedIn: Fajr Muhammad Be Sweet & Tweet with #wcphilly
7. What is a Blog?Web + Log = BlogBlogs are… – Constant – Passionate – Authoritative – Great to Read Anyone & Everyone has a BLOG!
8. What is WordPress? “WordPress is a powerful open-source personal publishing platform. As ofAugust 2011 WordPress powers over 22% ofall new websites. WordPress is currentlythe most popular CMS in use on theInternet.” --- Wikipedia
9. There are tons ofblogging platforms
10. Why WordPress?WordPress is… – Free – Open Source – Constantly Evolving – Easy to Learn & Use WordPress is Flipping Awesome!
11. .Com vs. .OrgTwo Versions of WordPress.com – hosted, free, signup & get subdomain – myblog.wordpress.com – paid css upgrades & custom themes.org – Self-hosted, software is free – requires domain & hosting plan
12. Why Self Hosted?o Access to thousands of Free & Premiumthemeso Access to Lots of Plugins- add ons (more onplugins later)o Full Control Over Your Blog & Monetization You Own Your Content!!!
13. Hosting Companies Hosting Companies I Recommend
14. Installing WordPress5-Minute Installation (Shared or Local) – Download at http://wordpress.orgOne-Click Install – Through your shared hosting provider Different Strokes for Different Folks!
15. The Basics of WordPress BlogHeaderContent Sidebar Footer
16. Your WordPress MotherboardThe Dashboard is your welcoming mat. It houses your QuickPress, WordPress News and Left-justified navigation panel
17. Content TypesPosts – Chronological – Updated RegularlyPages – Hierarchical – Static (updated every so often)Media – Images – Video – Audio
18. Great Debate: Posts vs. PagesPosts – Categorized – Can be TaggedPages – Can Be Nested – Important Content • About Pages • Contact Information
19. User Roleso Administrator: Top Dogo Editor: Second in Commando Author: The Creatoro Contributor: The Collaboratoro Subscriber: The Consumer
20. How to Write a Post Title Goes Here Type your Content Here Publish Pick your CategoriesWriting a post in WordPress is as intuitive as using a word processor like Word. You don’t need to know HTML code and you can preview and publish at the click of a button!
21. Themes – Your Visual PlaygroundThemes are the look of your WordPress blogThere are thousands of themes available – Some Free – Some Not so Free – Some Great – Some Not so Great Themes are my Favorite Part of WordPress!
22. Places to Find Great ThemesWordPress Theme Directoryhttp://wordpress.org/extend/themes/Theme Foresthttp://themeforest.netWoo Themeshttp://woothemes.comGraph Paper Presshttp://graphpaperpress.com/
23. Widgets, not GidgetWidgets are modules that customize the look & function of your blog’s sidebar
24. Plugins – More Function PleasePlugins are modules that you “plug in” to your standard blog to add additional functionalityPlugins can be uploaded via – WordPress – FTP
25. How to Find PluginsWithin WordPressWordPress Plugin Directoryhttp://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
26. 5 Must Have1. Plugins WordPress SEOhttp://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-seo/2. Google Analyticshttp://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/googleanalytics/3. WP Security Scanhttp://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/4. Akismethttp://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/akismet/5. Add This or ShareThishttp://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/addthis/http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/share-this
27. Everyone Loves a Recap Slide• WordPress is not only free, professional and all knowing, like Yoda!• You can get a blog up & running in 5 minutes stat!• Writing & publishing content is a snap!• There are thousands of themes and plugins to create the blog of your dreams! WHO RUNS THE BLOG WORLD? WORDPRESS!