2. WHAT IS IT?• Modern history in year 11 and 12 is WORLD HISTORY• It answers questions about why the world is as it is today• It links geography, economics, politics, culture into one fascinating subject which allows you to understand the complexities of the modern world
3. WHAT IS STUDIED?• PRELIMIARY COURSE• There is a wide choice and opportunities to choose what the students are interested in .• Slavery• French Revolution• Martin Luther King- Malcom X – Civil Rights Movement• The Tzars in Russia…. And more
4. HSC COURSE• WW1 – THE CORE all Modern History students in the state study this:• PLUS• ONE National Study- Germany, South Africa, Russia after the Tzars• ONE Personality – is linked to the National Study• ONE International Peace and Conflict- Conflict in Indo-China, Cold War, United Nations
5. WHO SHOULD CHOOSE IT?Students who have an interest and curiosityabout the world around them and want to learnmoreStudents who want to sharpen their skills ofanalysisStudents who want to have an impact on makingdecisions in the worldStudents who just want to know more!!!!!!!!!!!
6. WARNING HIGH LEVEL OF ANALYSIS,READING AND WRITING
7. GOES WITH…..MODERN HISTORY ECONOMICS, LEGAL STUDIES, VISUAL ARTS, DANCE, DRAMA, SOCIETY AND CULTURE,
8. BENEFITS• Improve your knowledge of the world• Remember KNOWLEDGE IS POWER• Your skills of analysis and understanding are sharpened allowing you to transfer these skills to all areas of the work place• Research skills become more finely honed• Development of a sophisticated style of writing• Your employment opportunities will expand Eg have you considered a job writing policy, working for Dept of Foreign Affaires, the United Nations• It supports all your other subjects across the curriculum• And it is INTERESTING because it is a reflection of life• It is an ATAR subject
9. LEADS TO…..
10. WHAT NOW?Choose your subjects carefully - consider• Your interests• Career goals (do I need an ATAR course?)• Writing requirements (essays in ATAR courses!)• Speak to your teachers & current senior students & past students• Review these presentations on FVHS e-learning, and the Fairvale website.• Come along to the Parent Information Night (next Wednesday)