5. But did you know...DESIGN can also create social change?
6. IMAGINE...a remote artisan practicing a traditional art but unable to make a living from his work.
7. To make a living he can either...
8. To make a living he can either... Leave his artform to work in a factory ORStart an small enterprise around his artform
9. The second option sounds lucrative, but it isNOT that easy. There are many challenges...
10. •He lacks knowledge of thelatest market trends.•He has limited resources tocreate a successful product.
11. A designer could work around thesechallenges and devise a creative solution to make the artisan a success.
12. Here are two examples of how DESIGN made a change...
13. A shoe making artisan community was struggling to make a sustainable living.
14. A shoe making artisan community was struggling to make a sustainable living. So a group of designers came to study their products and potential.
15. The designers studied the group’s strengths and challenges and found two problems.
16. •The traditional style shoe was no longer in demand.•The hand-sewn construction could not compete with high quality automated machine stitching.
17. This is what the designers came up with...
18. This is what the designers came up with...• They changed the base product from traditional leather shoes to functional leather journals.• They designed powerful motifs for the journals so that the focal point was not just on the stitching quality.
19. These changes created a ripple effect, and now this artisan group is growing and thriving!
20. Here is another example of how DESIGN made a change...
21. An organization in Delhi creates woven fabric from old cassette tapes but was having a problem selling their product.
22. An organization in Delhi creates woven fabric from old cassette tapes but was having a problem selling their product.
23. The designers found two major problems... •The material was conceptually strong, but the ﬁnal products were not functional or in trend. • The colors were not right for the market.
24. This is what the designers came up with...
25. This is what the designers came up with... •They designed a range of bags that justiﬁed the feel of the fabric. •They changed the color palette to suit the target audience.
26. The products were a hit in the market!Now the artisans are consistently busy working on new orders.
27. These social changes could only take place because the right DESIGN tools were applied to the artforms.
28. DESIGNIS POWERFUL
29. Fair Trade Organizations like Handmade Expressions support artisan communities all over the world by helping to empower them through strong design. For more information visit: handmadeexpressions.net d-impact.org designerswithoutborders.org aidtoartisans.org
30. Presented to you by Handmade Expressions. For more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org