Recipes for Unlocking Value from Big Data

  • 135 views
Uploaded on

Presentation delivered at Dubai Internet City's "Big Data - An Emerging Technology" Excellence Series on June 24, 2014.

Presentation delivered at Dubai Internet City's "Big Data - An Emerging Technology" Excellence Series on June 24, 2014.

More in: Technology , Business
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
135
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1

Actions

Shares
Downloads
0
Comments
1
Likes
1

Embeds 0

No embeds

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Recipes for Unlocking Value from Big Data June 24, 2014 Fadi Yousuf, Managing Director
  • 2. 2© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC About Me • Founder and Managing Director of Axeldata Systems • Big Data Consulting and Solution Design • 14+ years involved in designing data architectures • Previous life at Sun, Cisco, Oracle, Google and F5 Networks • Working with Hadoop since 2011 • Hobby of the month: World Cup 2014
  • 3. 3© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC 2013 4.4 ZB 2020 44 ZB The Age of Big Data Source: IDC The Digital Universe of Opportunities: Rich Data and the Increasing Value of the Internet of Things, 2014 1 Zettabyte = 1 Trillion Gigabytes OLTP ERP CRM Documents Emails Web Logs Social Media M2M Sensor data Geolocation per year40%Growing
  • 4. 4© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Data as a Competitive Advantage leader’s gut instincts data driven decision making Firms that adopted data-driven decision making are about 5-6% more productive and profitable than their competitors - MIT Center for Digital Business
  • 5. 5© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Are We Getting Value from Our Data? Most firms estimate that they are only analyzing 12% of the data that they already have, leaving 88% of it on the cutting-room floor. The Forrester WaveTM: Big Data Hadoop Solutions, Q1 2014 Data Silos Analytics CapabilitiesValue of Data
  • 6. 6© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Problems cannot be solved by the same level of intelligence that created them. Albert Einstein
  • 7. 7© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Data Platforms Landscape 2014 • RDBMS • NoSQL • In-Memory • Search • Hadoop • etc.
  • 8. 8© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Hadoop: The Platform for Big Data An open-source software framework for storage and large-scale processing of data-sets on clusters of commodity hardware. - Wikipedia Storage Area Network Server Comput e Data Traditional Computing
  • 9. 9© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Hadoop: The Platform for Big Data An open-source software framework for storage and large-scale processing of data-sets on clusters of commodity hardware. - Wikipedia Servers/Storag e Compute Data Servers/Storag e Hadoop Computing
  • 10. 10© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC From Data Silos to Data Hubs Hadoop Streaming Data Structured Data Unstructured Data Marketing Finance Data Science IT
  • 11. 11© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Use the Right Tool for the Right Job When to use? • Affordable Storage/Compute • Structured and Unstructured Data • Large scale data analysis • Resilient auto scalability When to use? • Interactive reporting (<1 sec) • Structured Data • Multistep Transactions • Interoperability • Sampled data analysis Hadoop Relational Databases
  • 12. 12© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC What Questions are You Asking? Known Unknown Questions being asked Questions not being asked Business Intelligence Data Discovery
  • 13. 13© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Big Data Journey: Start Small and Evolve IT Infrastructure & Operations Business Intelligence & Data Warehousing Line of Business & Business Analysts CEOs, CFOs & CSOs (CxOs) Time to Value PotentialValue Optimized Infrastructure New Business Models Advanced Analytics Operational Excellence Organizational Big Data Capability
  • 14. 14© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Build Data Science Teams Data Scientist (n.): Person who is better at statistics than any software engineer and better at software engineering than any statistician. Josh Wills – Director of Data Science, Cloudera Source: Wikipedia Can you have all those skills in one person?
  • 15. 15© 2014. Axeldata Systems FZ-LLC Summary: Recipes for Unlocking Value • Expand your technology repertoire • Ask the right questions (and bigger ones) • Adopt a data exploration mentality • Start small and evolve quick • Build data science teams
  • 16. Hadoop and the Hadoop elephant logo are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. fadi@axeldata.com www.axeldata.com