View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
“Low hills closed in on either side as the
train eventually crawled on to high,
tabletop grasslands creased with snow.
Birds ﬂew at window level. I could see
lakes of an unreal cobalt blue to the north.
The train pulled into a sprawling rail
yard: the Kazakh side of the Kazakhstan-
. . .
“Workers unhitched the cars, lifted them,
one by one, ten feet high with giant jacks,
and replaced the wide-gauge Russian
undercarriages with narrower ones for
the Chinese tracks. Russian gauges, still
in use throughout the former Soviet
Union, are wider than the world standard.
The idea was to the prevent invaders from
entering Russia by train. The changeover
— Robert D. Kaplan, The Ends of the Earth
The Rules of BarCamp
• You do talk about BarCamp.
• You do blog about BarCamp.
• If you want to present, you must write your topic and
name in a presentation slot.
• Only three word intros.
• As many presentations at a time as facilities allow for.
• No pre-scheduled presentations, no tourists.
• Presentations will go on as long as they have to or until
they run into another presentation slot.
• If this is your ﬁrst time at BarCamp, you have to
Photo by the Ryan King. Shared under Creative Commons.