I gave this presentation on April 20th, 2013 in Berlin at the Dynamite Circle Conference. The topic was how standard operating procedures can help boost overall productivity and the takeaways from implementing this at my company. The basic take aways are as follows:
- One of the things I heard from attendees was "Cam that's great but you have 20+ employees. I am a solopreneur". If you have no employees you certainly must have contractors, VAs, a great aunt or someone that helps you fulltime or parttime. Written procedures are critical to ensure that these folks are productive.
- If it is something that you repeat, the following must be done:
Document the process
Automate it OR Delegate it
- The two most important tasks of an entrepreneur are to “create” and “connect”. There is no place or time for repetitive tasks.
- Employees need to be given appropriate time to let this concept sink in. They are going to look at is as something to add to their already overloaded todo list.
Creating these procedures can seem daunting (How do you eat an elephant?)
- Have your team read Work the System
- Don’t tell them how you are going to implement the system. Get input on how it should be done. Understand internal skills/needs/constraints.