Add bio and picture – waiting on confirmation from Johnhttp://www.austinhimss.org/enewsletter/2013/05-27-2013/1686598374813844/enewsletter.htmlFor John bio and picture
Emma cartmell sxsw presentation 2014
Partner at Exsede
How do we Facilitate Innovation
A panel discussion to facilitate innovation in health
information technology (HIT) between VCs, Entrepreneurs, and
the provider community.
We will discuss the issues, challenges and opportunities that
exist in the market around HIT innovation.
You will learn:
• What the needs are within the user community that
represent opportunity for innovation
• What challenges entrepreneurs face in bringing products to
• What criteria investors expect to see before funding a
health IT company
Founder of Tictrac
• Founder @ Tictrac
• Advisory Board @ One
• Member @
– Managing Director @
Next Jump Ltd.
Philip Sanger, MD
Managing Director of TEXO Ventures
• Founder and Chairman @ TEXO
• Founder @ The Sanger Learning
Center @ University of Texas
– Founder @ Medicare-Advantage
– Founder @ Intercede Health
– Launched HealthSpring –
Acquired by Cigna for $3.8B
Director of Innovation @ Seaton
• Director of Innovation @
– Director of Research @
– Director of Technology
Commercialization / New
• Explain the criteria you take into consideration before investing in a
Health IT Company?
• What scares you the most about HIT investments?
• Innovators are not always expert business people – how do you
• Where do you get your pipeline of potential investments?
– How do you meet prospects?
• What do you think about Health IT Start-up Accelerator’s
– Are they helping to produce an investment pipeline?
HIT Start-up CEO Questions
• How did you get the funding to start your company?
• How did you bring your company to market?
• How do you innovate in a heavily regulated market?
• How do you integrate with proprietary legacy
– Are the legacy vendors willing to work with you?
Provider Organization Questions
• How receptive are you and your colleagues to
proposals for innovative technologies outside
of what’s mandated?
• What does it take for you to take a risk on a
smaller innovative company?
General Panel Questions
• What is your advice to someone who believes
they have a great idea for a new product /
• What exciting innovations do you expect in