User experience design lies at the crossroads of art and
science. It’s a magical mixture of visual art, hardboiled
psychology and numbers.
UX provides design direction and insight to make smart,
powerful, efficient products and services that delight
How it works
Design is not just what it looks like and feels like.
Design is how it works.
Good design is problem solving
Rules of UX
There is no formula for a successful
experience. If there was we could build robots
to do it for us.
There a few guidelines by which to consider
Do you have empathy for your customer?
Can you put yourself in their shoes, as they
interact with your experience?
Can you clearly articulate how this feature or
product will be used in the context of their
Do you know what your customer is trying to
accomplish with your feature or product?
Let them do that as simply as possible.
What kind of experience are you constrained
Identifying the boundaries early is critical
when designing and developing great
What types of input and interaction are
Ensure you are identifying all the potential
opportunities of the delivery device.
You can’t be a tourist.
You have to use and know your product frontto-back, inside-out.
“Define the problem”
Three little words on a slide belittle what is
actually the hardest thing you will have to do.
Types of users
should be user
subject matter expert
loyal to competitor
● Figure out if people will buy your product before you build it.
● Learn which research methods are best for early validation.
● Understand user pain in order to build a more compelling
Why do it?
● Improved process
● Faster time to market
● Increase value per use
● Extended application life
1. delight in surprising ways (animation is the soul of
2. real objects are more fun than buttons and menus
3. let me make it mine
4. get to know me - (Context. change background on
header depending on place)
SIMPLIFY MY LIFE
1. keep it brief - “Users are overwhelmed by options and limitless
2. pictures are faster than words - Is writing really needed? Better
3. decide for me but let me have final say (better defaults)
4. only show what I need when I need it
5. I should always know where I am
6. never lose my stuff
7. if it looks the same, it should act the same
8. only interrupt me if its important (notifications)
MAKE ME AMAZING
1. give me tricks that work everywhere - (Use
tactile feedback, vibrate on touch. sound and
animation to communicate)
2. its not my fault (wording)
3. sprinkle encouragement
4. do the heavy lifting for me (time zone math)
5. make important things fast
The world is getting smarter and people need more than
just pretty interfaces. If you don’t know “why” and “who”
before you come up with “what”, you'll end up creating
nothing for no one.
People don’t want gadgets, they want great services.
Websites should tell a story
Websites Communicate Their Stories Viscerally
Websites should be designed with a goal in mind
Websites should be intuitive
Websites should work natively on any device
Great Design is for the People
It’s Time to Stop Building Websites and Start Building
The internet is not about Google.
The internet is not about ads.
The internet is not about traffic.
The internet is about PEOPLE.