Top 10 Things I Learned In PR Pubs By: Emily Williams
10) Sans Serif and Serif are Two Very Different Things Sans Serif Fonts that do not have serifs (go figure!) Uses: Headlines Make more of a bold statement and stand out more Examples: Tahoma Arial Kartika Serif Fonts that do have serifs Uses: Body Text Because easier to read and help the eye flow across the page Examples: Times New Roman Cambria Bodoni MT
9) Juxtaposition is the Coolest Element of Photography to Me! Definition Example Juxtaposition: photographic presentation of opposing elements which often conveys a sense of irony. According to Poynter Universities photojournalism class we took online. Note the irony: above is a warning about obesity, below an ad for McDonalds.
8) The front of a brochure is the farthest panel to the right, the center is the back and the far left is the inside flap, who knew? Note the front panel is the introduction, middle panel is the back, usually used for postage, and the left flap is the inside panel when folded.
7) Dafont.com is Pretty Awesome (and useful!) Dr. Nixon showed us a website where you could download free fonts with different themes. This came if very useful for me for another project where I used the Harry Potter theme.
6) There is a lot More to Typography than Just a Font There are numerous different elements such as ascenders, serifs, bowls, descenders, baseline, loops, etc. that are implemented into design.
C: Contrast R: Repetition A: Alignment P: Proximity In order to have a good publication these must be implemented. 5.) CRAP is Essential to Good Publications
4) It’s important to format pictures for print Information from Katrina Sage whom worked with the Savannah Magazine. For Print: Should be shot with a nice camera (NOT a point and click) Photos should be shot in raw format Should be saved as a TIFF file not JPEG Should be shot in 300 dpi (dots per inch) Should be saved as CMYK color (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black)
3)Gravatarsare useful in Wordpress, Twitter, Facebook and Myspace. Gravatars are icons that represent you when you leave a comment on Wordpress or other social media sites.
2) Segmenting Publics is Crucial Can be segmented into: Generations Life Stages Social Classes Education Gender National Origin This couple probably doesn’t have the same interest as…… ….this couple
1) InDesign is Your Best friend when it comes to Designing When it comes to design Adobe’s InDesign program is the best for: Brochures Logos Letterheads Flyers Posters Booklets