Mobile Polling (Poll Everywhere, Poll Daddy)
Built in Polling Systems (Interactive White Boards)
Targets knowledge and understanding levels of
• Allows for formative assessment and peer instruction
Gamification and GamesBased Learning
• 77% of American households own a videogame
• Average age of gamers: 37 years old
• 55% of gamers play on mobile devices
The Three Levels of
o By which rules does the player interact with the game?
o What is the point of the game?
o What conditions need to be met for success?
o Does this look and/or feel like a game?
o Does it possess the conventions of a game? (ie. Levels, points, badges,
Oh, what’s in a game?
• Possesses game mechanics. In other
words, governed by rules.
• Constant feedback
• Rewards at unpredictable intervals
• Some element of competition
• Some aspect of non-productivity (fun or play)
• Application of game aesthetics to a non-game
• Examples include badges and leader points
• Typically used to increase motivation or
• Gamification has been widely applied in noneducational contexts
• Cash-back rewards
• Customer loyalty