Composition of Matter
- All matter is made up of atoms.
- Elements - when all the atoms in the matter are the same.
- Compounds - matter that is made up of 2 or more combined elements.
- Compounds look different than the elements that make them up.
- Substance - matter that is either an element or a compound.
- Mixture - material that is made up of 2 or more substances that can be separated physically.
2 Types of Mixtures
- Heterogeneous Mixture- mixture that is unevenly mixed.
- You can see the stuff in the mixture.
Heterogeneous Mixture Ex:
- Homogeneous Mixture- mixture that is evenly (uniformly) mixed.
- Homogeneous Mixtures are also called solutions .
Homogeneous Mixture Ex:
Matter Substance Mixture Element Compound Homogeneous Heterogeneous
- Colloid - a heterogeneous mixture that never settles.
- Suspension - heterogeneous mixture that contains a liquid where visible particles settle.
- Tyndall Effect- the scattering of light by particles in a mixture.
Tyndall Effect Ex:
What do you have? YES YES NO Does it scatter light? YES NO NO Can it be filtered? YES NO NO Does it settle? Suspension Colloid Solution