Protocol for Tier I Core Instruction:
1. Complete the Essential Standards chart
learnfor the first period of instruction (trimester, quarter, or semester).
2. Before the unit begins, identify how and when the team will identify and
support students in need of remediation and enrichment. The entire team
should reserve time for this additional time and support, not just each
3. As time permits, unwrap two or three of the essential standards into
learning targets, starting with those that will first be introduced to
4. Build common assessments by identifying three to five questions for each
of the learning targets identified.
5. Use the results from these common assessments to identify and monitor
students needing more time and support with specific learning targets
(focus on causes, not symptoms).
6. As time permits, unwrap the next two or three essential standards into
additional learning targets, following up with those that will next be
introduced to students.
7. Build common assessments by identifying three or four prompts for each of
the additional learning targets identified.
8. Use the results from these common assessments to target students
needing more time and support with specific targets. Use this same
information to provide enrichment to those who have already mastered
the learning targets.
9. Repeat this process for the second period of instruction (trimester,
semester, and so on), beginning again with the Essential Standards chart.
Simplifying Response to Intervention p. 58-59