9. How does it relate to our students? What are they up to these days? Are they truly competent with technology?
10. Today's students are very productive people.
11. They love to communicate .
12. They are effective researchers .
13. Our typical student fears not the media .
14. They are publishers .
15. The problem is that our students focus their considerable skills, amplified by the light of the new technologies, on what most of us would consider trivial and mindless entertainments. DIGITAL NATIVES X DIGITAL IMMIGRANTS
16. Internet and the brain Brain activity from Internet search - October 06, 2008 Functional MRI brain scans show how searching the Internet dramatically engages brain neural networks (in red). The image on the left displays brain activity while reading a book; the image on the right displays activity while engaging in an Internet search. Source: University of California, 2009
17. "We are changing the environment. The average young person now spends nine hours a day exposing their brain to technology. Evolution is an advancement from moment to moment and what we are seeing is technology affecting our evolution." Prof. Gary Small, UCLA 2009
19. They expect things to work properly and work fast . They get bored if not challenged properly, but when challenged, they excel in creative and innovative ways. They learn by doing , not by reading the instruction manual or listening to lectures. McNeely, 2005
20. We can use technology to... <ul><li>provide sts with more opportunities to practice the language; </li></ul><ul><li>allow sts the freedom and independence they miss in the traditional classroom; </li></ul><ul><li>learn more about the sts‘ interests and learning styles . </li></ul>
21. We can use technology to... <ul><li>give sts the chance of playing with the language in more informal contexts , where they have more time to think and prepare what they want to say; </li></ul><ul><li>help sts learn more about technology itself, learning and communicating in the target language; </li></ul><ul><li>motivate shy sts to participate more in a “safer“ environment . </li></ul>
22. Video Social Media Revolution
26. WEB 2.0 CITY Wesley Fryer, from http://www.speedofcreativity.org
28. Going down the rabbit hole – NEVER to come back!
29. Integrate Technology Into Education http://www.projectappleseed.org/iteflogo.jpg