Online and Traditional Media Done Right
Web 2.0 for Non-
Web 2.0 and Non-Profits
• What is Web 2.0 – brief overview
• Define the purpose of a Web 2.0 strategy
• Measure success
Web 2.0 – What is it?
• CGM – Consumer Generated Media
• Web 2.0 – Collaboration/Engagement from customer to Brand, Brand to
customer and customer to customer.
• Whatever it’s called – the consumer is in charge of content – not the
publisher or enterprise
• Formats – blogs, RSS feeds, wikis, Social Networks, widgets etc
More definition –
Web 2.0 Objectives
• Not for the purpose of raising LARGE $
• Reaching new potential donors
• Reaching new/younger demo in their own
• PR of a new flavor – spreading the word
• peer-to-peer fundraising - Viral
• Creating a website and/or blog
• Getting the word out
• Raising money
• Keeping in touch/Networking via email
• Meeting face to face
• Finding volunteers
• Measuring Success
Getting the Word Out -Facebook
– Causes = application
– Need to create profile in FB to see
Getting the Word Out - LinkedIn
– Create Group – Type= Non profit
– Discussions now available on each group
Getting the Word Out - Twitter
– Use search to find causes – search for Red
Cross = 77 profiles
Getting the Word Out – Care2
• First Giving
– How it works - You can make your own fundraising page on Firstgiving to raise
money for any nonprofit organization. Email your page to friends, family and
colleagues, who donate by credit or debit card in an easy, secure online
transaction. We send all the donations to your nonprofit, minus our small
– ChipIn’s mission is to make it easy to collect money. We enable users to
organize group payments and fundraisers (”ChipIns”) in a quick, easy, and
secure way. We also make it simple for organizers to publicize their ChipIns, by
providing powerful fundraising widgets that can be embedded in social media.
– ChipIn allows anyone to collect money for a personal cause, group purchase,
or fundraiser using their own custom ChipIn page.
– ChipIn enables bloggers to create an interactive widget that allows them to
raise money directly through blogs and other social media.
– ChipIn empowers non-profit organizations to engage a distributed network of
supporters in “blograising” campaigns for major fundraising efforts.
Keeping in Touch
• Google apps
• Yahoo Groups
• Vertical Response
Face to Face
– Meetup is the world's largest network of
– Meetup makes it easy for anyone to
organize a local group
– or find one of the thousands already
meeting up face-to-face.
– Bringing People Together - VolunteerMatch is
a leader in the nonprofit world dedicated to
helping everyone find a great place to
Measurements of Success
– Did you change the perception/conversation of the market?
– Did you contribute to the conversation?
– Are your customers responding and communicating?
– Is your blog, YouTube, Flickr, Twitter audience growing?
– How many subscribers did you add to your RSS feed ?
– Did your Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn network grow?
– Are prospects adding comments to your blog?
– Is your content getting shared?
– How many comments did you leave, did you get involved in the
• There are many free tools on the market
that will help measure your progress.
Web/Blog analytics, RSS analytics,
Technorati rankings, Google alerts,
widgets, Twitter analytics and more.
Case Study- Unicef
• Started with several 2-3 minute videos on the Unicef
Website – not much traction
• Expanded to Youtube,GoogleVideo, YahooVideo,
AOLVideo, Blinkx, Truveo, careful attention paid to titles
and tags to mazimize search
• Started a Myspace page – included wallpapers, banners,
badges, widgets, videos and podcasts
• All celebrity supporters were asked to link their Myspace
pages to the Unicef page
• Within 4 months # of friends increased by 40% (reach), #
of comments increase by 20% (engagement)
• Too early to track to increase in donations but Unicef is
calling this a PR bonanza
• Know your audience,
• ‘Play’ with the tools yourself first,
• Check out groups in various applications and see
what they are doing. Learn by emulating
• Participate in your community
• Define the outcome and then pick the right tool
for the job
• Start with measurement in mind.
• ReadWriteWeb – non-profits week
• Change.org, a social network for social activism
• Facebook – Application = causes
• Myspace – Impact
• Network for Good
• Wild Apricot
• Beth’s Blog
Our contact information
1361 Park Street
Alameda, CA 94501
Phone: 510 864 1892
Fax: 510 337 9302