2. THE POWER OF MUSIC INDEX Introduction Human evolution Music and Brain Benefits of music Conclussions -Reason of the power that music has -Video tu sum up -Relax experience
3. THE POWER OF MUSIC INTRODUCTION We have chosen to speak about this topic because we both love music. Everybody loves music... but why? And everybody listen to music everyday… but what can we use music for?
4. THE POWER OF MUSIC INTRODUCTION So, we have also questioned… Why is Music so… Pleasurable and Useful … in our daily lives?
5. THE POWER OF MUSIC WHATS MUSIC? Music is the art of combine in a sthetic way both sounds and silences. +
6. THE POWER OF MUSIC HUMAN EVOLUTION Music has got biological roots =Music activates Pleasure and Reward-related Regions of the Brain.
7. THE POWER OF MUSIC HUMAN EVOLUTION Humans find a lot of things pleasurable. This is necessary, because if you don’t find something pleasurable, you don’t Do it. That’s why you find pleasurable things like Eating and Sex: they’re necessary to survive. Foodand Sex are natural pleasures, because they’re primary necessities.
8. THE POWER OF MUSIC HUMAN EVOLUTION What about Music? Because it’s not a neccesity, though it’s really pleasurable! Ourphysical responses to music are similar than our responses to other necessary things. Our brains have an Specialized and Ancient Reward Circuitry that allows us to enjoy Music.
9. THE POWER OF MUSIC HUMAN EVOLUTION• Music must be linked to some sort of evolutionary adaptation that helped our ancestors (hunting, social bonding…)• First bone flute known dates back 40.000-80.000 years ago (Homo Neardenthalensis)• Experts assume that people were probably singing before they invented musical
10. THE POWER OF MUSIC HUMAN EVOLUTION Whenyou need to feel pleasure in something you’re doing, enter your DOPAMINE SYSTEM.
11. THE POWER OF MUSIC HUMAN EVOLUTION So Dopamine is important for natural rewards like food and sex…, for artificial substances like drugs, … and for Music! Scientific researches have shown that Music can produce a nice increase in Dopamine.
12. THE POWER OF MUSIC HUMAN EVOLUTION Was intense pleasure when listening to music in the same category? Probably not. But Music can produce a significant increase in Dopamine which make us Feel Good. WHY have be evolved such that music effects us this way? +
13. THE POWER OF MUSIC BENEFITS OF MUSIC Music help kids to remember basic facts. Ex: Sesame Street Not only kids, adults too Ex: Mallika Sarabhai: Dance to change the world
14. THE POWER OF MUSIC BENEFITS OF MUSICo People are more likely to cooperate with each other in nonmusical tasks than if they’re not in synch. Ex: Ritual Music of Tibetan Buddhism (bond, emotions, message, atmosphere) Music can help people that have serious neurological diseases as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, Dementia. Ex:
15. THE POWER OF MUSIC BENEFITS OF MUSIC Music alters mood. Ex: Personal examples: Playing music is a way to convey feelings. Ex:
16. THE POWER OF MUSIC CONCLUSSIONS HUMAN EVOLUTION  Why human beings are able to enjoy music?  Dopamine System is the culprit. BENEFITS  Why is music so useful?  Memories, learning, cooperation, neurological diseases, mood, feelings. Is there anything clearer after this presentation?  We hope so…
17. THE POWER OF MUSIC TO SUM UP Video “The Scientific Power of Music”. The Scientific Power of Music.w mv
18. THE POWER OF MUSIC TO MAKE YOU FEEL RELAXClose your eyes and enjoy it.Lets see if this piece of music make you feelbetter.
19. THE POWER OF MUSIC THANK YOUFOR YOUR ATTENTION.