Unit 17 weather, climate and peoplePresentation Transcript
Unit 17 Weather, Climate and
• Discuss how weather and climate affect
people positively or negatively.
Positive Effects of Weather and
Climate on people
• Man can harness solar energy and wind
• Solar panels on the roofs of home will trap
solar energy and convert the energy into
electricity for heating water.
• In some countries, solar energy is used to
• Wind is used to turn wind turbines to produce
Turbine Solar panel
• Climate determines the amount and the type
of crops that can be grown.
• For example, in tropical climate, farmers are
able to grow more than one crop a year as
there is high temperature and high rainfall
throughout the year.
• Tropical island with hot and sunny such as
Maldives attract tourists from countries
• Tourists from warmer countries like to visit
Switzerland to ski Swiss Alps.
Negative Effects of Weather and
Climate on people
• Too much water
• Too little water
• Extreme heat and cold
• Extreme winds
Too much water
• Extreme weather like prolonged heavy rain
can cause rivers to overflow their banks and
• Buildings, transportation networks and
farmlands are damaged.
• Houses may be swept away and lives may be
Too little water
• Droughts occur when there are prolonged and
abnormally dry periods of insufficient rainfall.
• Rivers, reservoirs and lakes may dry up.
• Crop failure may lead to famines.
• Eg: Sudan, Ethiopia and Somalia.
Extreme heat and cold
• Heat waves that occur in summer may cause
bushfires and kill lives and destroy farmlands.
• Cold waves are caused when frigid polar winds
blow into a certain regions. Temperature fall
drastically to below 0◦C. People who are not
properly protected may be vulnerable to
pneumonia, bronchitis and frost bite.
• Severe storms such as hurricanes and
tornadoes generate strong winds that cause
deaths, injuries, crop and property
• Tornadoes and Hurricanes occur every
summer in USA.
• Continuous heavy rainfall result in severe
flooding that cause greater damage.
Questions to ponder…
• Why do you think there is an increase in
hurricanes and tornadoes?
• What is the main difference between a
hurricane and a tornado?