So, we are going to spend some time today learning the important features and functions of the iPad.
Hold your iPad with the round button that has a square with rounded corners at the bottom of the iPad facing toward you. This button is called the Home Button. You can click the home button to leave an app or to return to the home screen on your iPad. You will need to be familiar with this vocabulary for the iPad activity we will be doing shortly.
Each app on the iPad has an icon. You tap the app icon to begin the activity or use the tool. App icons can be organized into folders.
At the bottom of your iPad screen, there is a dock. This dock will show up no matter what screen you are on. To move from screen to screen, you swipe your finger across the iPad. You can move apps onto and off of the dock to customize it for your needs.
If you quickly double click the home button, you will bring up the “fast app switcher” that shows the apps you used most recently.
1. iPad 101
2. Home Button
3. App Icons and Folders
5. Fast App Switcher
6. Sleep Mode1. Press and release the power button once
7. Power off1. Press and hold the power button for approximately 4 seconds2. Slide the red arrow over to power off
8. Volume Controls1. On the side of the iPad, press the volume button on the top to turn up the volume
9. Search iPad1. Press the home button to get to the home screen2. Press the home button again3. Tap the white search bar4. Using the keyboard, type the name of the app you are looking for
10. Zoom1. Open Safari2. Go to www.esparklearning.com3. Put two fingers on the screen; drag them apart and pinch them together to zoom in and zoom out
11. Exit an app1. Open eSpark2. To leave the app, you can either 1. Tap the home button once 2. Use 5 fingers to pinch the screen (if multi- tasking gestures are enabled)
12. Screenshot1. Press and hold the power button and the home button at the same time2. Find and open photos3. Tap “Album”4. Open camera roll and find your screen shot
13. Symbols keyboard1. Find and open the “Notes” app2. Touch the note paper on the screen3. While the keyboard is active, tap to access numbers4. Tap to access symbols
14. Copy/Paste1. Find and open the “Notes” app2. Type five words of text3. Double tap one word. The Copy and Paste menu will pop up4. Hold a blue circle and drag it to highlight the text you want to copy. Tap “copy”5. Press and hold another place in the sentence until a bubble appears. Tap “paste”
15. Wi-fi Settings1. Tap Settings2. Tap “Wi-Fi” on the menu3. Identify the name of the wireless network you are using.
16. Create a folder1. Hold your finger down on eSpark until it wiggles2. Drag the eSpark app icon on top of another app. Hold until the folder (black rectangle) appears3. Drag the app into the folder4. Touch the in the white bar. Rename the folder “Sight Words”. Tap “Done”5. Tap the home button
17. Dock an app1. Find eSpark2. Hold your finger down on the eSpark app icon until it wiggles3. Drag the icon to the bottom of the page into the dock4. Press the home button
18. Force Close1. Open eSpark2. Press the home button3. Double click the home button4. Find eSpark in the fast app switcher dock5. Press and hold the app icon until it wiggles6. Tap the red circle to force close7. Press the home button again
19. Four-finger swipe1. Tap Settings2. Tap “General” on the side menu and scroll to multi- tasking gestures3. Turn multi-tasking gestures on4. Swipe the screen right to left with four fingers. Now you can switch between apps easily
20. Speak Selection1. Tap Settings2. Tap “General” on the side menu. Tap “Accessibility”3. Tap “Speak Selection”4. Turn “Speak Selection” on and slide the circle to the turtle5. Now, any time you highlight text you can have it read aloud to you
21. Passcode Lock1. Tap Settings2. Tap “General” on the side menu. Tap “Passcode Lock”3. Tap “Turn Passcode On”4. Set your Passcode. Enter 1234 then re-enter 1234
22. Disable iTunes1. Tap Settings2. Tap “General” on the side menu. Tap “Restrictions”3. Tap “enable restrictions” and enter your password as 12344. Turn iTunes off