Public Relations Association of Mississippi
November 10, 2008
In the Palm of Your Hand:
How Communicators are making a Splash on the Mobile Web
Ed Schipul http://ﬂickr.com/photos/adwriter/233031265/
www.schipul.com // www.brandtobedetermined.com
What do cell phones have to do
Let’s talk about...
• What is Mobile Web?
• How to utilize the Mobile Web today!
• Who is using Mobile Web?
• Bonus round: Mobile Web tools/toys
On-the-go tools for on-the-go communication
The Communicator’s toolset:
Where things are going
Anthropology of Cell Phones
Technology is great, but it’s all about PEOPLE
Brain candy from Tomi Ahonen research
So why do you care?
• 30% Internet users access ONLY through Mobile (over 850 million)
• 92,000 text messages sent EVERY SECOND
• 2.8 trillion text messages sent in 2007
• SMS = $100 billion/year industry
Obama announces his running mate and customizes cell phone wallpaper
Getting the VP word out to 2.9 million people
Congressman Culberson streams LIVE from his cell
www.qik.com/johnculberson (35,000 views!!)
• Mobile Web = Mobile Humans
• Context and immediacy is everything
• Start with fresh Mobile content
• Keep it simple, keep it fun
Mobile Web connects Humans to info they want
Thanks for being here!
Mobile tools for