To Avoid The Waste Land. To Encourage: Passionate Living
So the title of this workshop is a bit of a misnomer.
To know what you’re willing to suffer for, to understand the types of things you’re willing to dedicate your life to, or a portion of your life to. It has to be deep. What are you willing to suffer through? Suffer through the work, the shit to get to the success that may or may not come?
You have to start. Where do you start?
So the question is, how do you start to grow your passions?
You’ll get what you put into it.
The best of the best, distilled from our passion coaches.
While times may change the way the world looks and operates, values remain steadfast and help you navigate your world, regardless of its shape, size, and velocity, its fierceness and its never-ending wonder. Your values become your compass.
Pass around list of values. Write down.
Surround yourself with like-minded peers Find your heroes You’re the average of the five people you hang around most.
It’s commonly said that you’re the average of the people you hang around most. It makes sense. If you’re constantly surrounded by people who have no ambitions to quit their jobs or go on big adventures, or worse, who want to do these things, but have given up, then you’ll forever feel crazy in your ambitions. You’ll never have the support network needed to make a big move.
Do Work You Love
Find Your Passion
7:10-8:00: Session One
8:10-9:00: Session Two
9:00-??: Drinks & Chat
Escape The City
• +150,000 members globally
• Thousands of event attendees
• Hundreds of escape stories
• A vibrant community of career changers,
entrepreneurs, and people who want to
do something different
Why Am I Here?
To Avoid This:
A land where everybody is living an inauthentic life,
doing as other people do, doing as your told, with no
courage for your own life.
(Joseph Campbell, on C.S. Lewis s The Waste Land)
And Encourage This:
Work is love made visible.
(Kahlil Gibran, On Work)
What is Passion?
a strong feeling of enthusiasm or
excitement for something
or about doing something.
Our Passion Coaches
John Morgan Charly Cox Julie Leitz
How to Live a More Passionate Life
Nine Clues to Living a Passionate Life
1. Values: What is your compass?
2. Strengths: What are your superpowers?
3. Excitement: What is your tennis ball?
4. Desire: What do you dream about?
5. Mission: What is bigger than yourself?
6. Exploration: What options/ideas are out there?
7. Act: What Little Bets can you make?
8. Sustain: What keeps you going?
9. Faith: What will happen?
Inside each and every one of us is one
true authentic swing. Something we were
born with. Something that s ours and ours
alone. Something that can t be taught to
you or learned. Something that s got to
̶Legend of Baggar Vance
• Stage guy for concerts
in summer; manual
labour in winter
• A maniac
• Jimmy s Iced Coffee
What would your closest
friends say you re best at?
Be patient toward all that is unresolved
in your heart and try to love the questions
themselves...Live the questions now.
Perhaps you will then gradually, without
noticing it, live along some distant day
into the answer.
̶Rainer Maria Rilke
REVIEW: WHAT WE VE LEARNED
• The Five Myths of Passion
• The Nine Clues to Living a More Passionate Life
• Personal Insights & an Action Plan, including:
– Your top three values
– A list of your strengths (what your friends would say)
– What you would do if you didn t have to work for a year
– Ten things you want for yourself
– Ten things you want for the world
– One suggestion of something to try (from a stranger)
– One little bet you can make, including one small step tomorrow
– A list of the five people you hang around most
THE PASSION MYTH: So Good They Can t Ignore You (Cal Newport)
CLUES TO LIVING A PASSIONATE LIFE:
1. Values: List of 400 Values (Barrie Davenport)
2. Strengths: Clifton Strengthsfinder (Gallup)
3. Excitement: Drew Houston s Commencement Address (MIT)
4. Desire: Alan Watts: What do you desire? (Vimeo)
5. Mission: It s Not About You (NYT)
6. Exploration: The Power of Time Off (TED)
7. Act: Little Bets: A New Theory of Creativity & Innovation (Brain Pickings)
8. Sustain: How Can a Book Club Change Your Life? (The Escape School)
9. Faith: Say Yes to Your Adventure (TEDx)