Complete Current Affairs questions from May 2014.
suitable for all competitive exams
Banking and Finance, National News, International News, Science and Technology, Prize and Award Winners, Sports Updates
May 2014 Complete Current Affairs - including Banking and Finance
1) Who was appointed as the 28th Chief of Army Staff (COAS) on 13 May 2014?
Ans. Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag
Note: He will assume the charge on 31 July 2014 the date on which General Bikram
Singh retires. General Suhag will serve as the COAS for 29 month till 31 December
2) Hockey India (HI) honoured heroes of 1975 World Cup team on 14 May 2014. The
1975 World Cup team was felicitated on the eve of World Cup 2014. Which country
is hosting Hockey World Cup 2014?
Ans. The Hague, Netherlands
3) Which Bollywood actor on 13 May 2014 became the first Indian to feature on the
cover page of the business magazine Forbes Middle East?
Ans. Shah Rukh Khan
4) Who has resigned as the Chief Minister of Bihar on 17 May 2014?
Ans. Nitish Kumar
5) Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh tendered his resignation to the
President of India Pranab Mukherjee on?
Ans. 17 May 2014
6) Asia's biggest milk brand Amul on 14 May 2014 announced to set up a dairy
processing plant at?
7) Who was named as the batting coach of Pakistan cricket team for two years on 15
Ans. Grant Flower
8) Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 15 May 2014 announced that
plastic currency notes will be launched in India by which year after field trials?
Note: Modern plastic currency notes were first developed by the Reserve Bank of
Australia (RBA), CSIRO and The University of Melbourne to safeguard
counterfeiting the currency. They were first issued as currency in Australia in 1988.
In 1996 Australia switched completely to plastic currency notes.
9) Which mobile service provider announced on 14 May 2014 that it will provide
free Wi-Fi in Gurgaon Rapid Metro Rail for six months?
10) Who led the Indian delegation at the 67th Cannes International Film Festival
inaugurated in Cannes, France on 14 May 2014?
Ans. Kamal Haasan
Study materials by “Letz Talk”
11) Who was appointed as the Chairman of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal
(CWDT) on 14 May 2014?
Ans. Justice BS Chauhan
12) Supreme Court Collegium on 13 May 2014 recommended the names of whom to
be elevated as judges of the Supreme Court?
Ans. Gopal Subramaniam and RF Nariman
13) Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India on 12 May 2014 gave his assent to the
Whistleblowers Protection Bill 2011. With this assent, the Whistleblowers Bill, 2011
Ans. Whistleblowers Protection Act, 2011
14) Name the World’s first Electric plane successfully completed its first flight on 9
15) International Nurses Day was observed across the world on?
Ans. 12 May 2014
16) Who won Cricket Club of India (CCI) Classic Billiards and Snooker tournament
on 14 May 2014?
Ans. Pankaj Advani
17) Name the founder of Leela Group of Hotels who died on 17 May 2014 in
Ans. Capitan Krishnan Nair
18) Supreme Court of India on 16 May 2014 appointed three-member panel headed
by whom to further probe the IPL spot fixing scandal involving N Srinivasan and 12
Ans. Justice (retd) Mukul Mudgal
19) World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) was observed across the world on?
Ans. 10 – 11 May 2014
20) Which Indian – American was on 13 May 2014 confirmed by US Senate as the
federal judge in Massachusetts?
Ans. Indira Talwani
21) Who recently (in May 2014) became the first-ever woman to head a UN
Peacekeeping Force in its entire history?
Ans. Major General Kristin Lund of Norway
Note: United Nations Peacekeeping Force helps countries torn by conflict to create
conditions for lasting peace.
22) Which team won the 20th Senior National Women’s Football Championships
title at the Golaghat Stadium in Assam on 12 May 2014?
23) Who won his 27th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title at Mutua Madrid Tennis
Open final on 11 May 2014?
Ans. Rafael Nadal
24) Who was appointed as the Chairman of the Central Water Commission & ex-
officio Secretary of the Government of India on 15 May 2014?
Ans. Ashwin B. Pandya
25) Who was appointed as President of International Technology Law Association in
Ans. Sajai Singh
26) Who was appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) of Volvo Buses India
on 14 May 2014 by Volvo Bus Corporation?
Ans. VRV Sriprasad
27) Who won Mutua Madrid Open Tennis title in women's singles category?
Ans. Maria Sharapova
1) Who has sworn-in as the 15th Prime Minister of India on 26 May 2014?
Ans. Narendra Damodardas Modi
Note: Along with him, 45-member Council of Ministers that includes 23 Ministers
with Cabinet rank, 10 Ministers of State with independent charges and 12 Ministers
of State also took oath of their offices. The Prime Minister and his Council of
Ministers were appointed in term of Article 75 of the Constitution of India.
2) Who was appointed as the new National Security Adviser on 30 May 2014?
Ans. Ajit Doval
Note: He is the former Intelligence Bureau Chief. According to the official order, this
appointment of 69-year-old Doval will be co-terminus with the term of the Prime
Minister or till further orders, whichever is earlier. National Security Adviser is the
person who acts as the primary advisor to the Prime Minister of India on national
and international security.
3) Who was appointed as the 14th Attorney-General of India on 28 May 2014?
Ans. Mukul Rohatgi
Note: He will succeed Gulam Vahanvati. The Attorney General for India is the
Indian government's chief legal advisor, and its primary lawyer in the Supreme
Court of India. He is appointed by the President of India under Article 76(1) of the
Constitution and holds office during the pleasure of the President.
4) Which football club won the 10th UEFA Champions League Football title?
Ans. Real Madrid
Note: They defeated its arch-rivals Atletico Madrid 4-1.
5) Who became the first woman External Affairs Minister of India on 26 May 2014?
Ans. Sushma Swaraj
6) Who became the youngest woman to climb the Mount Everest, the highest peak in
the world on 25 May 2014?
Ans. Malavath Poorna
Note: She is a 13-years and 11-month old girl of Andhra Pradesh. Poorna was
accompanied by Sadhanapalli Anand Kumar, a 16-year old from the same state.
Anand became the first Dalit to conquer the tallest peak.
7) Prime Minister Narendra Modi was elected from two Lok Sabha constituencies in
the LS elections 2014. On 29th May 2014 he has quit Vadodara constituency and will
henceforth represent which constituency in the Parliament?
8) Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi held talks with Prime Minister of
Pakistan in New Delhi on 27 May 2014. Who is the present PM of Pakistan?
Ans. Nawaz Sharif
9) Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) announced on 29 May 2014 to buy a majority
stake of about ......... percent in Network18 Media and Investments for 4000 crore
Note: The deal will be done through the Independent Media Trust (IMT) set up by
Reliance. Network18 group include moneycontrol.com, In.com, IBNLive.com,
Firstpost.com, Cricketnext.in, Homeshop18.com, Bookmyshow.com while TV18
group includes CNBC-TV18, CNN-IBN, Colors, IBN7 and CNBC Awaaz.
10) Who was appointed as the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, Narendra
Modi on 28 May 2014?
Ans. Nripendra Misra
Note: He is a retired IAS officer and former Chairman of Telecom Regulatory
Authority of India (TRAI).
11) Domestic e-retailer Flipkart on 21 May 2014 announced that it has acquired
which leading fashion e-tailer and its rival for 300 million US dollar?
12) Hindustan Motors halted the production of India’s which iconic car on 25 May
Note: The Ambassador was the first car to be made in India.
13) New Union government has recently constituted a Special Investigation Team
(SIT) to unearth illicit money. Who is the chairman of the Team?
Ans. MB Shah
14) Kochi-based Indian Super League franchise, co-owned by Sachin Tendulkar and
Hyderabad-based media baron Prasad V Potluri was recently named as?
Ans. Kerala Blasters Football Club.
15) Anti-Terrorism Day observed Across India on 21 May 2014. Why the day is
celebrated on 21 May?
Ans. It is the Martyrdom of Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
16) Who won Monaco Grand Prix of Formula One on 25 May 2014?
Ans. Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg
Note: The Mercedes, with this win, finished at first and second position for the fifth
straight time and has swept all six races this season.
17) Which eminent Hindi writer was on 29 May 2014 awarded with the prestigious
Vyas Samman for the year 2013?
Ans. Vishwanath Tripathi
18) Name the hockey player who was better known as father of Malaysian hockey
who died in Ipoh, Malaysia on 28 May 2014 at the age of 86?
Ans. Azlan Shah
Note: Sultan Azlan Shah Cup is also named after him.
19) Who was on 27 May 2014 selected as the goodwill ambassador of 35th National
Games that is scheduled to be held in Kerala from January-February 2015?
Ans. Sachin Tendulkar
20) Name the ball to be used in 2014 FIFA World Cup to be played at Brazil from 12
June to 13 July 2014?
21) Which Film was honoured with Palme d’Or Award at the 67th Cannes Film
Festival held in Cannes from 16 May to 25 May 2014?
Ans. Winter Sleep
22) Which country won the Thomas Cup 2014 of badminton on 25 May 2014?
Note: Japan team defeated the Malaysian team 3-2 in the finals held at Siri Fort
Complex in New Delhi.
23) Who has sworn-in as the new Chief Minister (CM) of Nagaland on 24 May 2014?
Ans. TR Zeliang
Note: Zeliang along with 11 Cabinet Ministers was administered the oath to the
office and secrecy by the Governor Ashwani Kumar in Kohima.
24) Goa on 30 May 2014 observed Goa Day. In which year Goa became 25th State of
the Indian Union?
25) Name the service launched by Google on 29 May 2014 by which Europeans can
request the web pages to remove links that contains material related to their
Ans. Right to be forgotten
Ans. Google launched the service following the direction of European Union Court
of Justice of 13 May 2014 that said that irrelevant links and outdated data on
search engines should be erased on request.
26) Name the new Ministry created by PM Narendra Modi on 27 May 2014
recognizing the importance of skill development in India?
Ans. Ministry of Skill development and Entrepreneurship
Note: Sarbananda Sonowal was made Minister of State for Skill Development and
Entrepreneurship (independent charge).
27) Which state Government has decided to add a chapter on the cricket legend,
Sachin Tendulkar in its school syllabus?
28) Which country won the Uber Cup 2014 of badminton on 24 May 2014?
Note: China team defeated the Japan team 3-1 in the final held at Siri Fort Complex
in New Delhi.
29) Who won the Ukrainian Presidential Election held on 25 May 2014?
Ans. Petro Poroshenko
30) Which country became the top source of foreign direct investment (FDI) into
India replacing Mauritius recently?
31) Indian Navy and Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) conducted annual bilateral
naval exercises named .............. in Andaman Sea from 22 May to 28 May 2014?
Ans. SIMBEX 2014
32) International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers was observed on 29 May 2014.
What was the theme for the day in 2014?
Ans. UN PEACEKEEPING: A Force for Peace. A Force for Change. A Force for the
33) SAARC Countries Leaders visited India on 26 May 2014 for which purpose?
Ans. As a part of swearing-in ceremony of Narendra Modi.
34) Which country's currency appreciated to 11-month high to become the best
performing currency in Asia-Pacific region against US dollar in 2014 recently?
35) Which country won the AFC Women's Asian Football Cup 2014 on 25 May 2014?
36) Name the President and member of the board of Infosys who resigned on 28
Ans. BG Srinivas
Note: Srinivas has served Infosys for 15-years and was appointed as the company
President in January 2014 along with UB Pravin Rao.
37) Name the two Indian's who won the prestigious Scripps National Spelling Bee
Ans. Sriram J Hathwar and Ansun Sujoe
38) Who was recently appointed as the Vice President and Auditor General of World
Ans. Hiroshi Naka
NOte: He is from Japan
39) Who has sworn-in as the new Prime Minister of Libiya on 26 May 2014?
Ans. Ahmed Maitiq
40) Which train going from Delhi to Gorakhpur rammed into a stationary goods
train near Khalilabad in Uttar Pradesh on 26 May 2014 killing at least 20 people?
Ans. Gorakhdham Express
1) Who was appointed as the new Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of India
on 22 May 2014?
Ans. Rajiv Mathur
Note: He is the former Intelligence Bureau Chief. Mathur succeeded Sushma Singh
who demitted the post of CIC on 21 May 2014. She was the fifth CIC of the Central
2) Who has was sworn-in as the first woman Chief Minister of Gujarat on 22 May
Ans. Anandiben Patel
Note: She became CM after Narendra Modi resigned the Post of Gujarat CM to
become the Prime Minister of India.
3) Who has sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Odisha for fourth consecutive term on
21 May 2014?
Ans. Naveen Patnaik
Note: Governor S C Jamir administered oath of office and secrecy to Naveen
Patnaik and 21 other ministers.
4) Who has sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Sikkim on 21 May 2014 for a record
fifth consecutive time?
Ans. Pawan Chamling
Note: Governor of Sikkim, Shriniwas Patil administered the oath of office and
secrecy to Chamling and his 11 ministers at Raj Bhawan in Gangtok.
5) Who has sworn-in as the new Chief Minister of Bihar on 20 May 2014?
Ans. Jitan Ram Manjhi
Note: His oath of the office and secrecy was administered by the Governor of Bihar,
DY Patil at the Raj Bhavan in Patna. He succeeded Janata Dal – United (JD-U)
leader, Nitish Kumar who resigned from the post of Chief Minister on 17 May 2014
after the debacle of the party in the 16th Lok Sabha election.
6) Who has sworn-in as the eighth Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh at the Raj
Bhavan in Itanagar on 18 May 2014?
Ans. Nabam Tuki
7) 16th Lok Sabha Election 2014 results were declared on 16 May 2014 for which
elections were conducted in 543 constituencies across India in April-May 2014. What
is the number of seats obtained by each party?
Bharatiya Janata Party: 282
Indian National Congress: 44
All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam: 37
All India Trinamool Congress: 34
Biju Janata Dal: 20
Communist Party of India (Marxist): 9
Nationalist Congress Party: 6
Samajwadi Party: 5
Aam Aadmi Party: 4
8) Name the project under Department of Electronics and Information Technology
(DeitY) on 21 May 2014 won second rank in the 2014 United Nations Public Service
Ans. Mobile Seva Project
9) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 21 May 2014 directed all banks to install disabled
friendly new Automated Teller Machines (ATMs). It also directed that all the new
ATMs that are installed after which date needs to provide audible instructions and
Braille keypads to customers?
Ans. 1 July 2014
10) Who was appointed as new Director General of Police of Jammu and Kashmir on
21 May 2014?
Ans. K Rajendra Kumar
11) Who was selected as Managing Director of ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL) by Public
Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) on 21 May 2014?
Ans. Narendra Kumar Verma
12) Narendra Modi on 21 May 2014 resigned as the Gujarat Chief Minister to take
over as the Prime Minister of India. He served as the CM of Gujarat for a continous
Ans. Nearly 14 years. From 7 October 2001 to 21 May 2014.
13) Which constituency in India registered the highest voter turnout in the General
Ans. Dhubri Parliamentary constituency in Assam
Note: Dhubri constituency registered a voter turnout of 88.22 percent
14) Which constituency in India registered the lowest voter turnout in the General
Note: It registered a voter turnout of only 25.86 percent.
15) Name the Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission of India who resigned
from his office on 17 May 2014?
Ans. Montek Singh Ahluwalia
16) Which country honoured 100 years of Indian cinema by releasing two postage
stamps in May 2014?
17) Name the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC) Chairman
who resigned on 19 May 2014?
Ans. C Rangarajan
18) Who won the men's Italian Tennis Open 2014 held in Rome, Italy on 18 May
Ans. Novak Djokovic
19) Who won the Women's Italian Tennis Open 2014 on 18 May 2014?
Ans. Serena Williams
20) President of India, Pranab Mukherjee dissolved the 15th Lok Sabha on?
Ans. 18 May 2014
21) World Turtle Day 2014 was observed across the world on?
Ans. 23 May 2014
22) Indian Navy (IN) and Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) on 22 May 2014 started
the 2014 edition of annual bilateral naval exercises named?
Ans. SIMBEX 14
23) Palaeontologists on 16 May 2014 discovered the fossil of the world largest
dinosaur fossils in which country?
24) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 21 May 2014 eased the gold import norms under
Ans. 20: 80 Scheme
Note: Under the 20:80 Scheme, an importer has to ensure that at least 20 percent of
every lot of imported gold is exclusively made available for exports as finished good
and the balance for domestic use.
25) Name the veteran nuclear scientist and Padma Bhushan recipient who died on
18 May 2014?
Ans. N Srinivasan
26) International Museum Day was celebrated across the world on?
Ans. 18 May 2014
27) Which country on 22 May 2014 suspended its 12th national bull fight festival
after matadors got injured by bulls?
28) Name India's distance runner who on 22 May 2014 bagged Silver Medal in boys’
3000 meter race in the 2014 Youth Olympics Games Qualification event for Asia
Ans. Kisan Tadvi
29) International Day for Biological Diversity 2014 was observed across the world
Ans. 22 May 2014
Note: The day was celebrated with the aim of spreading awareness on biodiversity
and the importance of preserving it in villages and islands.
30) Name the Indian-American student who won the National Geographic Bee
championship in Washington, USA on 21 May 2014?
Ans. Akhil Rekulapelli
31) Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) government on 21 May 2014 scrapped the New
Recruitment Policy, 2011. What was the highlight of this policy?
Ans. Under the policy for non-gazetted posts, the appointees were paid a stipend
instead of salary for the first five years.
32) Former President APJ Abdul Kalam was awarded with honorary degree by
which foreign University in May 2014?
Ans. Edinburgh University in Scotland
33) How many medals India won at the Archery World Cup Stage 2 held at
Ans. Two medals. One Silver and one Bronze medal.
Do not share file with any one… Stay tuned.
Don’t forget to read ‘Daily News’, which is the best in our page…..
Study materials by “Letz Talk”