2. Empire Building Leads to War• Scramble for Africa: Great Britain, France, Portugal, Spain, Denmark, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands want more overseas land.• Between 1885-1910 several European countries divide Africa among themselves as the Berlin Conference.• Colonizing countries were looking for natural resources and raw materials to manufacture goods.• Gold, Diamond, and Oil were resources wanted.
3. War Happens Because… 1. European Alliances 2. Nationalism 3. Imperialism 4. Militarism
4. European Alliances• European Countries joined alliances to better protect themselves.• If one member was attacked, the others were obligated to help that country.• Countries actually signed treaty agreements in case of attack.
5. Nationalism• Feeling of pride and love for one’s country.• Citizens felt fierce pride in their countries.• Many groups wanted to be free from the control of other nations.
6. Imperialisms Fault?• Empire building in Africa and Asia leads to WWI.• Countries built up resentments towards each other• Felt pride in their countries and its possessions.
7. Militarism • Countries built strong armies and navies to defend their own countries and colonies in Africa and Asia. • European countries began to distrust each other in their fight for economic power.
8. WWI• Also known as The Great War• Started in 1914• War was between Austria-Hungry and Serbia• Sparked by the assassination of the Austrian Archduke Francis Ferdinand in 1914.• He was the heir to the Austrian-Hungarian throne• Killed by a Bosnian Serb (part of a terrorist group) who wanted to free Bosnia from the Austro-Hungarian Empire• Wanted Bosnia to unite with Serbia
9. Allied Powers Central Powers• F (France) • B (Bulgaria)• A (America) • G (Germany)• R (Russia) • A (Austria-Hungry)• S (Serbia) • O (Ottoman Empire)• G (Great Britain)• B (Belgium) • Bad Guys Are Offensive• S (Serbia)• Friends Are Really Good BuddieS
10. Who fought Whom?• Austria-Hungry declares war on Serbia due to the assassination• Germany declares war on Russia, France, and Belgium• Great Britain declares war on Germany• Austria-Hungry declares war on Russia• France declares war on Austria-Hungry• Great Britain declares war on Austria-Hungry• Up until this point, the U.S. maintained a policy of neutrality.
11. Germany throws the U.S. intoWar! Woodrow Wilson• President-• April 6, 1917- U.S. enters war with the Sinking of the Lusitania• Germany had a policy of unrestricted submarine Warfare.
12. Where did they fight?• In Europe, trench warfare developed, especially along the western front between France and Germany.• in northern Africa• in the skies above Europe - “dog fights” between planes• in the Atlantic, with Germany’s unrestricted warfare and dangerous U-boats
13. How does it end?• War lasted until 1918• Estimated 10 million people died• Believed to be “war to end all wars”• Europe was destroyed physically• The Great War becomes WWI