research with IP communities, 2003
Research within a protected area with IPs communities
(Batak and Tagbanua).
Participatory mapping workshops with several IPs
Used a physical 3D model.
Maning - insisted that workshops should be divided into
men and women.
The final map will be an integration of both workshop
● Covered a larger extent of the area
● Names of all major rivers and streams;
● Location of hunting grounds including accurate
position of where they hunted the largest wild
pig, snake, or eel;
● Important trees for gathering resins and wild
● Approximate boundary of various forest types.
● Covered a smaller area mostly within the established
settlements of the tribe.
● Location of community structures such as schools, place of
worship, community halls for gatherings;
● Sources of clean water (wells and springs);
● A stream that regularly overflows limiting access to children
going to school;
● Patches in the forest to gather medicinal plants and other
● Patches of swidden farmlots.
Both maps shows
perspectives but not
one more important
than the other.
November 11, 2009
we are two totally blind guys who are probably the first users of
gps technology here in the philippines.
we already travelled from commonwealth to binondo using our gps
receivers and our talking cellphones and we arrived safely.
that's why we would like to meet with you so we can ask technical
info from you to improve our navigating.
kindly honor our request because we would like also to be active
contributors to what you are doing in mapping the philippines, well
perhaps to start a new map department for blind travelers.
i typed this letter using a screenreader with speech software,
forgive the non capitalization of beginning letters so i can type
fast to go with my flow of thought.
god bless you and thank you in advance for your precious time with
March 8, 2010
i went back to cabagan, isabela after 15 years and got nostalgic
marking the pois on a motorbike with cousin philip!
i live ecopark and did gps marking too.
quite a good coverage, i think, but need to go back for some that i
hope this will benefit gps users.
2 attachments — Download all attachments
osm cabagan, isabela pOIs.doc
Information can come
even from those you
least expect it to