3. In the light of the recent incidents in several
public elementary and high schools nationwide, and
various reports from the Bureau of Fire Protection
(BFP) of violations to the Revised Fire Code of the
Philippines (RA No. 9514) committed by schools, the
Department of Education (DepEd) has felt an urgent
need to conduct and implement the Continuing Fire
Safety and Awareness Program (FSAP) in Schools to
give priority attention to these concerns and be
conscious about fire safety.
4. •To promote awareness on fire safety and the
importance of prevention and preparedness among
school officials, personnel and staff, and
5. 1.The most common violations of schools as reported
by the BFP in terms of
•a. Hazardous electrical wirings
•b. Lack of markings for emergency exits
•c. Absence of fire sprinkler
•d. Inadequate provisions of outlets
•e. Non-organization of fire brigades
2. Schools are directed to adopt/observe the fire safety
and prevention measures contained in the enclosure
they shall coordinate closely with the LGUs and BFP in
the implementation of FSAP.
of the School
3. Correction of all Fire –Code violation as
7. 4. The School Maintenance and Other Operating
Expenses (MOOE) may be utilized in the
implementation of this Program.
8. •Lack of Information, dissemination and implementation
of the DepEd Order No. 72 s 2012 may threat the lives of
the school heads, teachers, students, parents and other
stakeholders in terms of A. number of young children
who spend most of their time in schools. B. Mentors who
are unprepared to manage the emergency situation during
the fire C. Vulnerabilities from bad elements including the
risk brought by the El Niῇo phenomenon.
•Implementation of the Fire Safety and Awareness
•Evaluation of the Fire Safety and Awareness Program
9. •Monitoring of the Fire Safety and Awareness Program
•Establishing standard types of school building as
assurance for a well and safe establishment.
•The issue of maintenance and evaluation of the programs
implemented in FSAP.
•The problem of budgeting and financing the program as a
•The handling and disposition of fire cases.
•The development and validation of selected topics or
subjects integrating fire safety curriculum in different
10. •Re organizational structure of proper implementation of
the program. Definite agencies and office shall be
•Budget for Utilizing the School Maintenance and other
Operating Expenses(MOOE) in Conducting the Fire
Safety and Awareness Program (FSAP) in Schools.
11. 1. Are there any insufficient or unclear provisions of
the policies / or guidelines. Yes
2. Does the policy or guidelines realize the aims and
objectives it was created for? No
3. What important revisions can you prepared after
analyzing the policy or guidelines?
12. •The fire safety prevention will be modified and
•Physical Facilities and classroom structuring should
be checked extensively to prevent fire cases.
•Administrative and instructional spaces in
construction of school buildings must be layout
•Linkages of Deped and BFP and other agencies shall
be strengthened in promoting this program.
13. • Full Implementation, Evaluation, Inspection and
Monitoring of Fire Safety Awareness Program by the
School Heads, Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), Local
Government Units (LGUs), Department of Interior and
Local Government (DILG), Non-Governmental
Organization (NGOs) and other Stakeholders.
•An Assessment of Standard Type of Deped Buildings
•Budget Allocation for the Fire Fighting and Fire
Extinguishers with ISO 9001-2008.
www.deped order no.72 s. 2012 08/05/12
www.deped Order No. 60 s. 2011