CH-CH-CH-CH-CHANGES (TURN AND FACE THE STRAIN) CH-CH-CHANGES Don't tell them to grow up and out of it CH-CH-CH-CH-CHANGES (TURN AND FACE THE STRAIN) CH-CH-CHANGES…
TEACHING IS CHANGING…
Teaching is changing and, in may ways, becoming a more difficult job because of increasingly numerous contradictory expectations.
EXPECTATIONS SUCH AS…
- meeting the needs of all students, without leaving a child behind, which ultimately is measured in obtaining the best results on ‘high-stakes assessments’
- teaching isolated skills yet teaching students to solve more complex problems which requires more ‘thinking’ and globalization on the students part
- having students utilize a tremendous amount of information, access this information properly, analyze and synthesize this information and yet use state assessments that do not properly measure the aforementioned abilities
WHAT CAN HELP US WITH THIS CHANGE? WHAT CAN ACT AS A CATALYST FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING?
The integration of technology, when done correctly, should maximize teaching and learning, have students more engaged in their work and produce better and more meaningful products (those that would measure understanding and allow for creativity) and assist in the rising expectations of teachers.
YOU SAY YOU WANT A REVOLUTION?
welcome to the technology revolution
occurring at the speed of light!
(Or at least, year to year.)
TECHNOLOGY CHANGES so FAST that educational needs have shifted and we must keep up!
- shift from teaching and learning isolated skills and content area information to teaching skills that enable students to solve complex problems across many areas
TECHNOLOGY… ‘IT’S IN THE WAY THAT YOU USE IT’
* we must adopt effective strategies that
infuse lessons with appropriate
* authentic assessment must keep pace
with effective instructional technology use
* PDP paramount to support this ongoing revolution most effectively and efficiently!!
DEFINITIVE ANSWERS ABOUT TECHNOLOGY?
Satisfying critics and advocates is difficult.
CRITICS’ CONCERNS: distracting, it is only one variable in education today that needs to be addressed, teacher competency, accessibility in schools, proper assignments etc…
ADVOCATE POINTS: here and now, can have students complete school work more quickly, appropriate skills necessary for today, up to date resources and state-of-the-art knowledge etc…
CONDITIONS & FACTORS
NECESSARY FOR MAXIMUM EFFECTIVENESS
Sufficient and available technology, support and maintenance
Linkage to important and meaningful educational learning experiences