Organelles in an Animal CellPresentation Transcript
What’s Inside a Cell?
• Found in every living animal.
• Gives the animal its STRUCTURE and
lets the animal FUNCTION.
• Can be SPECIALIZED to do certain jobs.
• Can be different sizes and shapes.
What are organelles?
• Tiny structures inside a cell.
• They carry out specific jobs within the cell.
• Kind of like organs for a cell.
• The cell membrane is the outer doors of
the cell. It forms the outer boundary that
separates the cell from its surroundings.
• It lets things in and out of the cell (like
• It holds everything together.
• A jelly-like fluid that contains all of the
organelles of the cell. It is surrounded by
the Cell Membrane.
• Holds all the organelles inside of the cell in
a moving fluid.
• The “brains” or control center of the cell. It
is a large oval structure.
• Produces proteins to control all of the
• A small oval structure in the Nucleus that
• To make Ribosomes.
NUCLEUS = the whole peach
NUCLEOLUS = the pit
• Large water-filled sacs floating in the
Cytoplasm. Like storage areas for the
cell. Not found in all animal cells. Some
cells have more than one.
• Store food and other materials needed by
• Rod-shaped structures found in the
Cytoplasm. Known as the “powerhouses”
or batteries of the cell.
• They convert food energy into energy the
other organelles use to do their job.
ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM (ER)
• A maze of passageways in the Cytoplasm.
TWO KINDS OF ER IN ANIMAL CELLS:
1. Rough ER – Have Ribosomes attached
2. Smooth ER – No Ribosomes attached
• To carry proteins and other materials from one
part of the cell to other parts.
• Many of the cell’s chemical reactions occur
• Small round structures found in the Cytoplasm.
They contain digestive enzymes. They are like
the clean-up crew.
• They break down materials with their digestive
• Break down large food particles into smaller
• Break down old cell parts and recycle
• Small grain-like bodies found on the
Rough ER and floating around the
Cytoplasm. They are like protein
factories. There are more ribosomes in a
cell that any other organelle.
• They make Proteins
A Whole Ribosome
• Flattened sacs and tubes found in the
Cytoplasm. Like the cell’s mail room.
• Receives proteins from other Smooth ER.
• Packages the proteins up.
• Sends them to other parts of the cell.
• A web of protein in the cytoplasm
• Acts as a muscle and a skeleton
• Keeps the membrane from collapsing
• Helps some cells move
• The outermost organelle of a cell (in plant
cells) that is made of cellulose (a sugar)
• Allow plants to stand upright
• Some take in water
• A green organelle in plant cells made of
two membranes and contain their own
• Where photosynthesis takes place