Solr powers library, government, and enterprise search systems in thousands of applications. This talk showcases various technologies and techniques used to build effective user search, browse, and find interfaces on top of Solr.
Search server, powered by Lucene DB
Indexing/searching via HTTP, responses Documents
in XML, Ruby, PHP, Python, XSLT, etc
• Scalability: caching, replication,
• Integrates: spell checking, highlighting, Search Results
more-like-this, clustering, rich document
indexing, data import handling (RDBMS,
• Ruby on Rails plugin
• facet ﬁeld detection, autosuggest, saved
search, inverted facets, pie charts, Simile
Timeline and Exhibit integration
• Useful for rapid prototyping
• See Flare's big brother, Blacklight, for
• Forked and improved from the now deprecated
• Query navigation state management and widgets
• Example of SolrJS on Reuters data
Food for thought
• The interface is the application
• URLs are UI too!
• Facets aren't just for lists (with counts)
• be creative: clouds, maps, graphs, etc...
• entice users to forage and browse,
facilitate serendipitous discovery