Power: How much the control over valued resources can influence another
FORMS OF POWER
• Coercive Power • Expert Power
– Bully – Doctor
• Reward Power • Referent Power
– Boss – Celebrity
• Legit Power
– Notes for Studying
– Dress to Wear
How is compliance advantageous for the other
• HINT (Know your audiences preferences)
Convince the other party to comply to avoid
feelings of guilt, fear, or shame
Slide for Video Examples
• This slide will contain the videos for the
“assignment” for the class to complete
– The examples we choose for each strategy that
the class will have to figure out which strategy is
Choosing a Compliance-Gaining Strategies
• Tailor to collaborator
– Think about who you want to influence
• Will person respond better to direct or indirect
• Will they appreciate reasonable argument, or
comply based on emotions or on your credibility?
• Can you offer a reward?
• Protect Relationship
– Don’t manipulate
– Perceived as polite
– What fits you
Overcoming Resistance to
• Not all attempts will be
• If continue to use
previous strategy you
only add to the
– Ask why they are
reluctant, listen closely
– Adjust strategy If still unsuccessful weigh
• Don’t make the mistake whether what you
of being more aggressive want is more important
or intimidating than your relationship
with the person
– Safe Sex and Compliance-Gaining Strategy Usage among College
– Battered Women’s Compliance-Gaining Strategies as a Function of
Argumentativeness and Verbal Aggression
– The Effect of Compliance-Gaining Strategy Choice and Communicator
Style on Sales Success
– Integrating Nonnatives as Teachers: Patterns and Perceptions of
– Primary Care Physicians’ Selection of Verbal Compliance-Gaining
– A Study of Women’s Compliance-Gaining Behaviors in Violent and
Compliance Strategies in Context
CONSIDER (Rate 10 for most effective and 1 for least effective)
• Were reasons used more than claims throughout the strategy?
• What was the strategist’s level of credibility?
• What was the strategist’s level of competence?
• What was the strategist’s level of trustworthiness?
• What was the strategist’s level of likeability?
• Did the strategy appropriately appeal to emotions?
• Was the degree of formality appropriate to the context?
• Was the strategy sensitive to other person’s cultural composition?
• Was the strategist’s behavior passive, assertive, or aggressive?