What is YouTube?
• YouTube is the leader of online video-
• Allows billions of people to watch
and share originally-created videos.
• It provides a forum for people to
connect, inform, and inspire others
across the globe.
• Acts as a distribution platform for
original content creators and
advertisers large and small.
• Created in February 2005 by three PayPal employees:
• Chad Hurley
• Steve Chen
• Jawed Karim
• First video uploaded April 2005
• Acquired by Google for $1.65 billion, in October 2006
Facts & Figures
• YouTube is 3rd most viewed site
after Facebook and Twitter.
• 4billion videos are watched
• 800 million visitors per month.
• YouTube is localized in 39
countries and 54 languages.
• In 2011 1trillion views took
• YouTube is monetizing 3billion
videos every week.
• Create a Google account.
• Find a channel and subscribe
• Save videos you like to watch
• Make your own channel
• Upload a video
• Easy integration with other social
• YouTube Partner Program:
• Created in 2007, they now
have more than a million
creators from over 30
countries around the world
earning money from their
• Thousands of channels are
making six ﬁgures a year.
• YouTube Monetization Strategy = Advertising
• Homepage banners
• Search result ads
• Ads next to videos
• Ads before videos
• Thousands of advertisers are using TrueView
in-stream and 75% of our in-stream ads are
• The have more than a million advertisers using
Google ad platforms, the majority of which are
How it works...
• YouTube gives advertisers what they
want by letting them focus in on a
variety of speciﬁc demographic
• They’ve also developed their website
to support and show ads across
multiple platforms, including
smartphones, tablets, and computers.
How much money does
• YouTube’s ﬁnancial numbers
aren’t publically published, at
least as a standalone.
• $3.6billion gross revenue
estimate in 2012.
Beneﬁts of Marketing with
• Capturing Attention
• High TrafﬁcVolumes
• Viral Marketing
• MultipleVideo Marketing
• Search Engine Rankings
• Social Media Marketing
• World-Wide Accessibility
• YouTube has become the worlds
largest search engine other than
Google. Simply because people
would rather watch the content
than read it.
• Making a video is like having a
virtual salesman, make the video
once, then let it work for you
around the clock.
• Based on keywords your video
has the potential to be seen
around the world
• Home Depot is a leader in
marketing withYouTube, they
post how to videos using
products purchased at their
• Other major brands that market
withYouTube include; MTV,
Disney, Google, Samsung, Sony,
Nike, and Adidas.
Who’s doing it right?
• Its hard to ﬁnd someone that
utilizesYouTube better than the
• They keep their channel updated
by adding at least 2 videos each
• Videos are almost always how to
videos explaining how to do
normal household repairs, while
using products sold at their
• Nike utilizes YouTube by carrying a variety of different channels,
each suits a different audience. Examples include (Nike,
Nikefootball, Nikesoccer, LeBron, and Nikebaseball). You would be
lucky to ﬁnd anyone in the world that doesn’t know what Nike is.
• Quicksilver Inc. has used videos of professional surfers to market
their product. They also keep their page updated weekly to keep
• The University of Phoenix online, markets its online classes via
video, they don’t produce a lot of videos simply because they have
videos for each type of student they may be trying to recruit.
Epic Fails withYouTube
• Dominos Pizza had a case in
2009 when two employees made
aYouTube video of themselves
messing with peoples food and
posted it through the company
• Any company that has aYouTube
channel that is not kept up to
date is a failure in its own.
• Probably more so than other
Social Media Outlets when using
YouTube it is imperative to keep
your channel current. If you fail
to do this customers might
actually think less of your
company for not providing new
• You must pay close attention to
your content and who has access
to your accounts. Fail to do this
and your business could look like
Dominos Pizza did a few years
• About." YouTube. YouTube, 2005. Web. 08 Mar. 2014. <http://www.youtube.com/yt/about/>.
• "How Does YouTube Make Money?" ZAGG. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2014. <http://www.zagg.com/community/
• "YouTube." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 03 Sept. 2014. Web. 10 Mar. 2014. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
• Barker, Melissa S., Donald I. Barker, Nicholas F. Bormann, and Krista E. Neher. Social Media Marketing: A
Strategic Approach. Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning, 2013. Print.