11 Ways to OvercomeExercise ProcrastinationBy Erica SterlingMarch 3, 2013
Is This You? Do you dread the gym? Do you hate to sweat? Do you find any excuse not to work out? Are you able to fall in love with exercise? Is that even possible? Answer: YES it is!
Top Excuses NOT to Workout Im too busy. I may injure myself. Im too old. My back hurts. I hate going it alone. Im too fat. Its so boring. Im thin already. My kids get in the Im not a gym rat. way. I have arthritis. I dont have the Im afraid people are money. watching and judging Exercise makes me me. eat more. I dont want to redo my hair and makeup.These excuses do not fly and are not valid!
1. Time Management Make exercise a habit and allot a specific time to working out. Devote at minimum 15 minutes, most times you will go beyond that Make exercise a non- negotiable, high-priority item in your schedule. Treat exercise as if it is a lunch meeting or an important event you absolutely must attend.
2. Reward Yourself, and Do itoften A non-food reward – no restaurants! (protein shakes are ok) Reward yourself with something that complements your goals and makes you happy at the same time. Examples: facial, massage, mani/pedi, exercise dvd, exercise equipment, new workout clothes or sneakers
3. View Exercise as Stress Relief Decreases the levels of cortisol and other stress hormones Boosts the levels of endorphins/mood lifters Healthy outlet for venting unhealthy emotions
4. Create your ownExercise Benefit Analysis Pros of Exercise Cons of Exercise1. Look younger;2. Build stress tolerance;3. Improve attention and concentration;4. Aid cardiac functioning; 1. Inconvenience;5. Protect against type two diabetes;6. Boost the feel good chemical, 2. Takes effort; endorphin;7. Prevent osteoporosis; 3. Challenging to sustain.8. Act as an anti-depressant; 4. Laziness9. Assist productivity;10. Burn calories;11. Develop a slimmer appearance;12. Get in good physical condition.
5. Exercise with a Friend Exercising with someone whose company you enjoy can also make the time go faster. If you have committed to meet up with a friend at the gym for an aerobics class or at the nearby track to jog it may motivate you to keep your promise
6. Join a Fitness Support Group Participate in a community of people committed to fitness Women Empowered Black Girls Run Weight Watchers Jenny Craig
7. Obtain a Workout Routine Internet has tons of If a task lacks structure Exercise Plans we are more likely to http://www.fitnessmagazi procrastinate on it. ne.com/workout/ Obtain a plan from your http://www.bodybuilding.c trainer om/guides/ Create and print out or http://www.webmd.com/fi write down your tness-exercise/features/5- workout ahead of time. treadmill-workouts-in-an- Bring the plan with you hour-or-less when you come to the http://exercise.about.com gym /cs/exbeginners/a/exforbe ginners.htm
8. Hire a Personal Trainer(If you can afford it) A personal trainer apt to give extra motivation Its good to have an expert to help and advise you in your efforts. Trainer can create a customized exercise plan to fit your body
9. Incorporate simple exercisesinto your daily activities. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Park your car so you get to walk a considerable distance to your office. Do stretching exercises every hour or so when youre stuck in front of the computer.
10. Take Pictures of YourProgress Take a picture of yourself and place it beside a picture of your ideal body. Put these on the fridge or some other visible place in your house. This should serve to remind you always.
11. Choose Enjoyable Forms ofExercise Select the types of activities you enjoy most If do not like the feeling of being hot and sweaty after a workout, consider swimming on a regular basis If you feel confined while exercising in a gym or at home, choose outdoor activities like walking, jogging, or cycling
Takeaways Before you commit to getting fit, evaluate your motives, and make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons If one day you only have 30 minutes to work out, don’t blow it off because it’s not your usual routine. And if you have to miss a workout all together, don’t beat yourself up. If you are truly aiming to improve your health, then you’ll get back on track — not because you have to, but because you know its what your body wants, and ultimately it makes you feel good.