Magazine cover 1
Price, date and
barcode, a common
The logo- The logo is conveniently placed in the left hand top
corner. This is a common convention because people naturally
read from left too right. Therefore they will know instantly that
this magazine is by Q.
The headline- the headline is at the very top of the magazine
and contrasts with the colour of the background. It also
personifies the magazine as there is a quote from a very famous
Main image- The main image is also the background on the
magazine. It is strong because the hair of the model matches the
colour scheme of the magazine. In addition to this the model is
famous therefore readers of the magazine will be more engaged
as the magazine of how idolized Florence & the Machine is.
Pull interview- There are two interviews advertised on this page
and they are both with celebrities. One with a “new Simon
Cowell” and Florence and the machine. From my questionnaire
in learned that people love to hear celebrity gossip in
magazines and it is a key motive in why people buy them which
is why these interviews are affective.
The lure- the Lure is a quote from Florence which tempts the
reader. This small part of the main story is quite radical and
would make the reader want to read more as it says “ I feel so
• Q magazine is published monthly by “EMAP” it was first
published in October 1986.
• It was different from other magazines and was seen as a better
standard at the time because of the high standard of
photography and printing.
• The magazine also ignored the older generation and only
focused on modern music.
• EMAP is content subscription and networking business. This
means that a magazine like Q could get a contract with EMAP to
publish there magazine every month for a period of time.
• Q magazine varies on music genre focus
although it does mostly focus on contempory
music and less on older music. From this I
would gather that the target audience is
teenagers as it focuses on their generation
meaning the magazine would be very
popular. People are more likely to want to
read about popular music of the present day.
• Q was originally meant to be cue (as in the
sense of cueing a record) although q
magazine were worried about the magazine
being mistaken for a snooker magazine so it
was changed to Q.
• The specific issue of this magazine is represented
as indie pop. This is because Florence and the
machine is the main feature and her music is
generally indie pop therefore the reader would
believe it was an indie pop magazine although the
kickers also include Skrillex which is Dubsteb. This
shows that Q magazine doesn’t just focus on indie
pop which would make it more popular as there is
more for the readers to hear about.
• The target audience of q magazine is for people
around 30 as it is more sophisticated than magazines
such as “kerrang”. Q magazine only focuses on the
music instead of fashion which it is why it has a more
mature target audience.
Magazine cover 2
• Logo- this lets the reader/buyer know which magazine this is. the logo is at the
very top and is in the biggest print. This makes it stand out to the buyer.
• Headline- The headline is “Green Day” which is a very popular band. This would
mean more people would be likely to buy the magazine to hear about them. In
addition to this Green Day is exclusive to kerrang therefore this is the only
magazine that anyone can read about Green Day in.
• Main image- the main image is the members of Green Day which is a strong image
because there pose engages the reader with eye contact.
• Barcode- the barcode is quite small and on the bottom right which is naturally the
last place the human eye looks as humans naturally read from left to right. This is
a convention to stop the buyer seeing how expensive the magazine is. Kerrang is
• Buzz words- buzz words also engage the reader because from these they can see
what else is being offered to them by reading this magazine. The secondary
images also add to this because the buyers can see who else is featured in this
magazine before they buy it.
• Kerrang is a rock magazine published every Wednesday for
£2.20. Bauer consumer media publish it in the UK.
• Bauer media group is a massive German publishing company
based In Hamburg. It publishes in 15 different countries such as
• To help publish and advertise Kerrang it also has its own radio
station- “kerrang radio 105.2”
• There is also a Kerrang tour which is a tour od different rock
concerts around the UK. This also contributes to advertising of the
kerrang as many parts of the UK are introduced to it.
• Kerrang is a music magazine mostly devoted to rock
music. This is because most of the bands that they
feature are of rock genre and Green day are a rock
band and are exclusive to Kerrang meaning they
only get featured by Kerrang.
• Other characteristics of the magazine show that it is
a rock magazine. For example the dark use of
colour on the front of the magazine conforms to
rock. Bright colours such as pink and yellow
wouldn’t represent the rock genre correctly.
• The target audience for Kerrang magazine is 16-23 year
olds. The magazine is also relevant to both male and
females, although it is less aimed at woman because the
colour scheme is predominantly masculine ect.
• The reader of kerrang would most likely be interested
rock, indie pop and classic rock. This is because these are
what are featured mostly in Kerrang.
• In addition to this even the magazine is very influential
and I would expect the reader to be influence by
magazine even in the way they dress. Also the reader
would go to gigs as many gigs dates and prices are
featured within the magazine.
• The front cover of this magazine
represents a rock magazine. This is
because of the bold dark colours
featured. In addition to this it is
predominantly masculine which is a
convention of rock. It looks masculine
because the models featured on the
front are all men. They’re also all in
black leather to show that the
conform. They have serious faces on
why shows the serious aspect to the
nature of rock songs.
Magazine cover 3
• Logo- the logo is the same as the headline- “billboard”
this is an indicator the identity of the magazine.
Automatically the buyer will be aware that the
provider is billboard,
• Main image- the main image is a close up of Adel. She
has very nice makeup on which not only shows the
professionalism of the magazine but also make the
magazine more attractive.
• Splash- the splash on this page is very small although
it still could be enough to entice the buyer because of
the use of colour and the fact that there are other
interesting stories within the magazine.
• The buzz word in this is just music. This also gives the
magazine identity because it represents the magazine
automatically as a music magazine
• Lastly this magazine isn't very conventional because it
hasn’t got secondary images, a barcode, or the price
posted on the front of the page. Reasons for this may
be that the magazine is very expensive so the supplier
is attempting to hide this.