RPO or YOU
How will your staffing organization survive?
Mark Mehler outsource RPO And U
offshore Tara Amaral
ABB Corning Nationwide Insurance
ADP DaVita Northrop Grumman
Agilent Dell Pepsi
Alstom Transportation Disney Pepsi Bottling
Alticor Edward Jones Pitney Bowes
Amazon Embarq RIM
American Cancer Society Enterprise Rent-A-Car Rolls Royce
Aramark Ernst & Young RSM McGladrey
Astra Zeneca First Command Financial Sanofi-Aventis
Avanade Gaylord National Schering-Plough
Bank of America GE Sears
BASF Genentech Shell
Battelle Genesis Healthcare Target
Baxter Healthcare Herman Miller Time Warner Cable
BearingPoint Honeywell TiVo
Becton Dickinson Ingersoll Rand Tyco
BP International Paper Vale Inco
Campbell’s Intuit Verizon Wireless
Celanese Johnson & Johnson Wal-Mart
CH2MHill JP Morgan Chase Wegmans
Comcast Lilly Wells Fargo
CIBC Limited Brands Whirlpool
COMSYS Macy’s Wolters Kluwer
ConAgra Foods Microsoft Yahoo!
National Security Agency
Are you Ready to Consider
Are you Ready to Consider Outsourcing Recruiting?
• What are your recruiting processes and policies? Can you document them?
Is it standardized/harmonized across your department, division, and
• What are your current resources? Head Count, Full Time and Contractors?
How are you organized? Do you have recruiting generalists or specialists?
How do you source?
• Do you know how much you spend? On Associates, contractors, sourcing,
marketing, contingency and retained, temp to perm, infrastructure
• Who else besides the recruiting organization touches/participates in the
recruiting process? Generalist? Diversity? Executive Recruiting? College?
Are you Ready to Consider Outsourcing Recruiting
• What do you measure today? Critical metrics? New Hire Surveys? Cost to
• Does your company do hiring forecasts/workforce planning? How accurate
and predictable has it been historically? What is your hiring volume by
function, location, skill? Is your business in a go forward the same as the
• What are you trying to accomplish? Increased quality? Reduced cycle time?
Control fixed cost? Variable hiring partner?
• Do you know what you think you should consider outsourcing? Technology?
End to end process? Hybrid? Front end of sourcing or recruiting? High
volume? Recruitment logistics and fulfillment?
Are you Ready to Consider Outsourcing Recruiting
• Change and communication. Who what, where, when, and what do people
need to know if you consider outsourcing?
• What should you retain?
RPO Case Study
Implement a flexible and scalable, outsourced staffing
service delivery model in the Americas beginning June 1,
2009 with a full implementation July 1, 2009.
Full life-cycle recruiting (job req approval to offer accept)
for all non-contingent hiring in the Americas.
Selected Partner as our “Americas staffing service
delivery partner”, end of April 2009.
Soft launch June 1, 2009; Go live July 1, 2009.
Agilent Vendor Manager: Manage vendor to service levels post implementation, and escalation point for
Agilent hiring managers, Agilent HR partners.
RPO Vendor Client Services Manager:
• Responsible for the day to day management and success of the Agilent RPO Program
• Works closely with the Agilent Americas Staffing Team to develop optimal program efficiencies and client
• Provides leadership and coaching to the RPO Vendor of choice.
RPO Vendor Recruiters: Provide full-cycle/end-to-end recruitment activities for all non-contingent hiring
from job requisition approval to offer accept.
Agilent Contract Recruiters: Continue to provide recruitment services for more difficult to fill openings for
all non-contingent hiring.
• RPO Vendor Coordinators:
• Facilitates logistical and recruitment activities to service Agilent Americas Staffing process
• Includes Interviewing Logistics, Candidate Offer Process Management, Onboarding support, Applicant
Tracking System Maintenance, Metrics, and Reports.
March Decision to outsource staffing service delivery model
March – April Vendor selection
• Identified 12 vendors through research
• Took 6 through RFP
• Selected 3 finalists
• Took finalists through
• “Scripted” deep dive presentations
• Recruitment simulation
• Reference checks (vendor provided and backdoor)
• Selected top vendor
May Contract negotiation and implementation work in parallel
May - June HR Partner and Hiring Manager (targeted) emails and invitation to
Transition of Open Requisitions and Candidates in Process
(Agilent Recruiter > Vendor Recruiter)
July 1 Full Launch of Outsourced Recruiting Model
Email Introduction to all Americas Managers
Our need for RPO
• Consolidation of International Procurement
• 4 Countries need resources (China, India, Pakistan,
• Initial challenges
– Hire 120 people in a three-month window
– Limited recruiting expertise in GP
– Inefficient recruiting processes in China office
– Fill open positions quickly
– Improve our recruiting processes in country
• Clear definition up front
– Roles, responsibilities of RPO partner AND hiring manager community
• Does your leadership understand what they’re signing up for?
– Constant, constant, constant communication
• Focus on lower-level positions?
– The proverbial “low hanging fruit”
• Interview and meet the recruiters that will be executing
– Not just the sales team
– Oversell and under-deliver???
• Contract flexibility
– Is your business committed?
– Do the terms of the contract match the changing nature of your business?
• IS HR/Recruiting a barrier or an enabler?