WHAT?is an environmental rating system for buildings developed by PAM (Pertubuhan Arkitek Malaysia / Malaysian Institute of Architects) and ACEM (the Association ofConsulting Engineers Malaysia).Its develop specifically for the Malaysian Tropical Weather, environmental and environmental context, cultural and social needs.Malaysia’s first comprehensive rating system for evaluating the environmental design and performance of Malaysian buildings based on Energy Efficiency, Indoor Environment Quality, Sustainable Site Planning & Management Materials & Resources Water Efficiency Innovation.
• Improve energy consumption by • – building orientation ENERGY • -minimizing solar heat gain through the building envelopeEFFICIENCY (EE) • -harvesting natural light • -use renewable energy • Achieve good quality performance of indoor air quality, INDOOR acoustic, visual and thermal comfort.ENVIRONMENTAL • Use of volatile organic compound materials • Application of quality air filtration QUALITY (EQ) • Proper control of air temperature, movement and humidity SUSTAINABLESITE PLANNING • Pr oper site with planned acces to public transportation, community services, open spaces and landscaping. AND • Implementing proper construction management, stormMANAGEMENT water management (SM)
• Promote the use of eco friendly materials sourced from sustainable sources and recycling. MATERIALS AND • Implement proper construction waste management with –RESOURCES (MR) storage-collection • Reuse of recycables and construction formwork and waste. • Rainwater harvestingWATER EFFICIENCY • Water recycling (WE) • Water saving fittings INNOVATION (IN) • Innovative design that meets the objectives of the GBI.
GBI IS CREATED TO?• Define green buildings by establishing a common language and standard of measurement;• Promote integrated, whole-building design;• Recognise and reward environmental leadership;• Transform the built environment to reduce it’s environmental impact; and• Ensure new buildings remain relevant in the future and existing buildings arerefurbished and upgraded properly to remain relevant. The developers will be able to plan more sustainable and green projects. Allow us to undertake development in a more environmental –friendly way To get better siting, design, construction, operation, maintenance and removal
WHO CAN USE THE GBI?All members of Project Teams, Building owners, Developers and other interestedparties (including Contractors, Government and Design & Build Contractors) To validate environmental initiatives at the design phase of new construction encouraged on all such projects to assess and improve their environmental attributes.
•For this residential new construction, it includes linked houses, apartments, condominiums, townhouses, semi-detached and bungalow. •It more emphasis on sustainable site planning and management, followed by energy efficiency.GBI RATING TOOL •Will reduce the negatice impact to the environment •And create better and safe place for the community as a whole.
SUSTAINABLE SITE PLANNING ANDMANAGEMENTPUBLIC COMMUNITY OPEN SPACES,TRANSPORTATION SERVICES ANDACCESS CONNECTICTIVITY LANDSCAPING• Encourage the selection • Basic amenities within AND HEAT of sites close to transport hubs 750m of the resindential units. (Grocery Store or ISLAND EFFCT• to reduce the current and Mini-market Religious • Development future heavy dependence Centre, Restaurant or should have more on private transport, Coffee Shop, Playground which is the greatest or Public Park) landscaping contributor to Green • Other (Clinic, School, reducing the well House Gas (GHG) Police Station, Post Office known effects of emission. or Atm) heat islands
SITE & CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENTCONSTRUCTION STORM WATER AVOIDINGSYSTEM & SITE MANAGEMENT ENVIROMENTALL YMANAGEMENT • Manage surface water run SENSITIVE AREAS• reduce on-site construction off from developments. • Avoid development of• Reduce material wastage • Reduce the pollution and inappropriate sites and and construction wastage storm water loading of the reduce the environmental to landfill sites river systems from impact from the location of• Reduce thedevelopment. a building on a site.• the polluting effects of • Reduce flood risk. construction and from • Retain rainwater for workers during recycling and appropriate construction. use.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES-REUSED AND RECYCLED MATERIALS Materials reuse and selection • to reduce waste, thereby reducing • impacts • Use salvaged, refurbished or used materials • To include reusability and the number of cycles on the usage (minimum 15 cycles) of temporary • materials; such as temporary formwork system, temporary framing or support system, etc.Construction Waste Management
WATER EFFICIENCY • to reduction in potable water consumption Rainwater Harvesting • Encourage water recycling that will lead to reduction in Water potable water consumption Recycling
Water EfficientLandscapingWater Efficient Landscaping Do not use potable water at all for landscape irrigation Reduce potablewater consumption for landscape irrigation
ENERGY EFFICIENCY(EE)RESIDENTIAL NEW CONSTRUCTION (RNC)
EE1 : MINIMUM EE PERFORMANCE [3 POINTS] • To create EE awareness • Promote the use of MS 1525 INTENT • To provide a thermally comfortable environment to reduce the use of air-conditioning • Establish minimum EE performance to reduce DESCRIPTION energy consumption in building • Reducing CO2 emission to the atmosphere APPROACH & •Wall insulation IMPLEMENTATION •Glazing •Solar shading devices
EE2 : RENEWABLE ENERGY [5 POINTS ] • To promote the use of renewable energy in INTENT residential buildings for self supply in order to reduce environmental impact due to emission of CO2 • To offset energy cost DESCRIPTION • Promote green energy use APPROACH & Solar hot water and building IMPLEMENTATION intergrated photovoltaic
EE3 : ADVANCED EE PERFORMANCE BASED ON OTTV & RTTV [10 POINTS] • To encourage enhancement to building to provide a thermally comfortable environment to INTENT reduce the use of air-conditioning in residential building, thereby reducing CO2 emission • Glazing APPROACH & • Insulated roof IMPLEMENTATION • Wall insulation
EE4 : HOME OFFICE & CONNETIVITY [2 POINTS] • To encourage dual use spaces and working from INTENT home, thereby discouraging commuting and reducing CO2 emission • Design residential homes with spaces for APPROACH & home-like IMPLEMENTATION • Provide high speed internet connection to homes
• Ensure the maintenance team fully APPROACH & participates in the testing andIMPLEMENTATION commissioning stage, understand th design intent and provide a 3 year sustainable maintenance program
INDOOR EVIRONMENTALQUALITY (EQ)RESIDENTIAL NEW CONSTRUCTION (RNC)
EQ1 : MINIMUM IAQ PERFORMANCE (2 POINTS) • To establish minimum indoor air quality (IAQ) performance to enhance INTENT indoor air quality in building, thus contributing to the comfort and well- being of the occupants • Ensure that adequate fresh air isDESCRIPTION supplied to occupied spaces to maintain good air quality in building
• Provide adequate openings as required by local building code • Cross ventilation is obtainable APPROACH & by having opening in both sidesIMPLEMENTATION of the room • Stack ventilation is obtainable by having low opening and high openings for the same space
EQ2 : DAYLIGHTING (2 POINTS ) • To encourage INTENT provision of day lighting in building • Design and implementation DESCRIPTION good level of day lighting in building
• Daylight system building include window, façade shading/light deflecting devices, roof light and atrium spaces • The daylight factor is the ratio of indoor APPROACH & light level measured on the workingIMPLEMENTATION plane to the outdoor light level during overcast conditions with no direct sun. • For a day lit space, the lighting level should be fairly uniform with no great contrast for visual comfort.
EQ3 : SOUND INSULATION (2 POINTS) INTENT • To reduce noise pollution between spaces • Ensure that the building walls and floors system is designed DESCRIPTION with adequate noise absorption properties to maintain good acoustical quality for the neighborhood
• Wall- heavy mass or sound APPROACH & insulationIMPLEMENTATION • Floor- underlayments
EQ4 : GOOD QUALITY CONSTRUCTION (1 POINTS ) • To encourage INTENT and recognize good quality construction • Promote good quality constructions to reduce DESCRIPTION repetitive re-work that waste materials and renovation
INNOVATION- INNOVATION IN DESIGN & ENVIRONMENTALDESIGN INITIATIVES • Innovative planning that displays “less is more” and “small is beautiful”; • Rehabilitation of existing buildings for re-use in innovative ways; • Innovative use of building features to passively cool the building • Heat recovery system (contributing to at least 10% of total required capacity); • Mixed mode / low energy ventilation system; • Waterless urinals (fitted to all male toilets); • Central waste conveyance system; • Central vacuum system
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.