„Hey, I found an interesting news related to
marketing. With whom I have to share
this news? Is anybody interested? Shall I
send an email to all people?“, Bob asks
No! Becasue of Information overload issues: We
all get lots of news, tweets, emails, blog posts,
announcements, etc. that might not be
relevant to us!
„OK, fine! I will not send an email to all people
and keep this news private!“, Bob whispers.
Well... That is not also good! Because of
information shortage issues: People don‘t
want to miss interesting links, relevant news
„OK, OK! Then what should I do?“, Bob asks us!
Our interviews showed that most medium-to-
large organizations have such collaboration
and communication problems!
• Such problems exist, due to tons of reasons,
– Some people are not social and/or do not
talk a lot and/or are shy, etc.!
– Some people seem to be 24/7 busy!
– Most people do not keep current profiles!
– People are distributed!
– People forget about stuff!
– Not all people use the same
communication and social channels (e.g.,
twitter, group lunch, etc.)
– And many many other reasons...
Such reasons are natural and common, but
should not obstruct collaborations and
If you still wonder why such problems are
important … or…
Why we should boost intra-collaboration and
communication … or…
Why we should connect employees properly …
• The answer is simple! Because of lots of various
reasons, such as:
– Employees could unintentionally duplicate the
– These issues make people more isolated in
– These issues could kill innovation and
motivation in short- and long-term!
– The company is losing time and budget
• How much? Look at next slides!
• Imagine a company with 150 employees
• And each employee loses at minimum 10
minutes, because of communication problems:
• 3 € per day per employee
• >450 € per day
• >10,000 € per month
»>120,000 € per year
»… half a million …
• To address these issues, let‘s summarize them in
three main bullet points
– Employees do not know who the potential
candidates for collaboration in specific areas
with relevant expertise are.
– Employees do not know who is working with
whom on what topic in various units.
– Moreover, they want to damp information
overload and information shortage and bring
less overhead for their colleagues.
To adderss these challenges, we developed
novel approaches: Conterprise Solutions
Our approaches are (semi-)automated. Thus, as
minimum overhead as possible for users!
As all know, most enterprises / organizations /
companies use and keep documents, such as
reports, deliverables, white papers, blue
prints, presentations, source codes, etc.
We apply some techniques on such documents,
extract meaningful expertise, and build
uptodate expertise profiles for users
Our hypothesis is that everybody has
acquired some expertise in the past that
could boost collaboration and innovation,
Thus, we help users to find out what their
colleagues’ expertise is and whether they
could be potential candidates for professional
No worries… we care about privacy and
security as well!
We provide intuitive and user-friendly interfaces
(e.g. see below) that enable the employees to
look for the colleagues with relevant
We also extract the latent professional network
among personnel automatically!
Thus, helping users to find out who is
collaborating with whom on what topic!
We visualize the latent social networks (e.g. see
below) among personnel, in order to enable
them to immediately grasp intra-communities.